Dayton Reference (RS) Aluminum drivers finally out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks like they got the initial information and prices up, still haven't put up the frequency responses just yet, but I'm sure they'll be added withing the next month or two. Although it has been noted by PartsExpress that none of them should really be used above 2K-3K, due to breakup mode qualities of aluminum, but this should come as no surprise.

5" Driver

6" Driver

7" Driver

8" Driver

10" Driver

Anyways they look very promising, and are certainly price point effective :up:

These do indeed look nice. I fell across these today while looking for a shilded 10" woofer. I'm thinking the 10 incher is exactly what I want, especially since they look so good! I'll pick them up to fill in the low end of a vifa XT19SD + CSS 4.5" XBL^2 three way.

I wrote to PE.

Question:

"Where are the response, impedance and waterfalls for the new Reference series drivers?"

Answer:

"I don't have any of this information on these drivers yet. Generally we do not release this type of information until we have the actual drivers in stock just in case there are differences from the prototypes and the production models. "

Yet, their product pages show these items in stock.

Hi,

No, the RS drivers are all in stock now. The reason there are no graphs posted yet is because, frankly, I haven't had time yet. I'll try to run the measurement data shortly, but I'm guessing it will be mid-next week before I get it posted. If I do get it together sooner, I'll let you all know.

See ya,

Darren

Yes... some testing has put these up there with some of the popular Seas and Scan drivers - making them an incredible bargain. :) Mark K did the testing, linked here - click on Tests... - the 8" is where the prototype Dayton really shines.

I am already planning a dipole setup with these. Though it'll likely be a little while before I can actually get the parts - still have some remodeling to finish.

C

cjd said:
Yes... some testing has put these up there with some of the popular Seas and Scan drivers - making them an incredible bargain. :) Mark K did the testing, linked here - click on Tests... - the 8" is where the prototype Dayton really shines.

I am already planning a dipole setup with these. Though it'll likely be a little while before I can actually get the parts - still have some remodeling to finish.

C

The FR measurement conditions look kind of odd: 1" nearfield? That distance is a significant portion of the wavelength above 1kHz; wouldn't that affect the plots? On the other hand, he did capture the characteristic 8 kHz and 11 kHz peaks of the Seas W15. I suspect the Dayton, since it has a deeper cone than most of the other drivers, could be at a disadvantage above 2 kHz with these measurements.

The Daytons might have more benign upper midrange distortion characteristics than the Seas, because their out of band response seemed fairly restrained whereas the Seas has a couple of 10 dB peaks above the passband, which tend to amplify harmonics.

All in all, modulo the peak between 1kHz and 2kHz for the 5" and the 8", they're a nice piece of work for the price. Kudos to the designer.

Francois.

off hand, can anyone think of a tweeter of comparable price(say, USD50 or less) that would cross low enough to mate with the 8"? I was hoping to do a low cost 8" 2-way, but it looks like I'd have to cross at 1K~1.5K. That knocks most domes off the list, let alone an inexpensive one.

Mats J said:
off hand, can anyone think of a tweeter of comparable price(say, USD50 or less) that would cross low enough to mate with the 8"? I was hoping to do a low cost 8" 2-way, but it looks like I'd have to cross at 1K~1.5K. That knocks most domes off the list, let alone an inexpensive one.

Perhaps a Morel could do it- I know that some of them have very low resonant frequencies. There are MDT and DMS (for shielded) candidates that say they can go below 2khz; with a steep crossover you might be able to push them low enough. I haven't had a chance to really scrutinize the FR of the 8", though (if i've seen it at all)- do you really think we've got to cross that low?

mazeroth- really, I've always heard the opposite, that because of their smaller radiating surface, the 1" has to be treated more like a .75", irregardless of its fs. Granted, I've never used one myself, only heard them and liked them, but they were XO'd between 2.5K and up. I'm not trying to poo-poo you're suggestion, just that I've never heard of anyone using them low before.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.