Even Cheaper! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2004, 11:40 PM   #1
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

Smile Even Cheaper!

The 87 cent close-out 4" full-range Pioneers at Parts Express are now down to 49 cents (no minimum purchase). Bought a case even though I don't have a project for them right now. But at that price I couldn't pass them up!

I've built two speaker systems with these and have been very pleasantly surprised. Currently using the smaller system with my GC and the larger system with my tube amp in my main system.

(BTW, I have no association with PE other than as a satisfied customer.)

Sherman
Old 29th September 2004, 01:37 AM   #2
kneadle is offline kneadle  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to kneadle
Default Re: Even Cheaper!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherman

I've built two speaker systems with these and have been very pleasantly surprised. Currently using the smaller system with my GC and the larger system with my tube amp in my main system.

Sherman
Is your GC also cheap and pleasantly surprising? Looking to get into that soon.

Dave
Old 29th September 2004, 02:20 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Story of our lives

I keep being tempted to get these suckers, but I just don't know if I would use them.....but it hurts seeing those at such rediculus prices and not buying them....plus they have good measurements to boot....
Old 29th September 2004, 02:35 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Sherman
I bought 32 earlier today. What type of enclosures are you using and anything to supplement to high or low end? I'm looking at doing a dipole line array right now.
Old 29th September 2004, 03:36 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

If you can find a cheap way to ship a couple (maybe 4-6?) to canada could you please contact me

Also did you happen to buy any of the Onkyo buyout tweeters?

Thanks
Old 29th September 2004, 02:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to swirv
Default whoops

I orderd a few of the NSB's the other day. I ment to order 32. I was wandering what the shipping cost would be on 64 and put the quanity in ... nah...to much. I mean what would I do with 64 speakers....mmm... I thought I changed the qty back to 32 before submiting. I didn't and now have 64 NSB's comming.

Guess its time to build that 32driver line array....
Old 29th September 2004, 04:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Tazzy
whoooha... 32 speakers line array
Old 29th September 2004, 05:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Even Cheaper!

Quote:
Originally posted by kneadle

Is your GC also cheap and pleasantly surprising? Looking to get into that soon.

Dave

Yes to both the cheap and pleasantly surprising on the GC. I have built a few now, one from BrianGT's kit and the others from scratch. All have sounded very good.

There is a set of photos of the one I built from BrianGT's kit on his website (and I think in the 'contest' thread here). I put that one in a couple of cigar boxes (one for the PS and one for the amp).

My next GC project will likely be a tube-buffered version.
Old 29th September 2004, 05:58 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Even Cheaper!

Quote:
Originally posted by Luke (Uof Iowa)

...What type of enclosures are you using and anything to supplement to high or low end? I'm looking at doing a dipole line array right now.

My first enclosure was almost thrown together. I calculated the volume to give me the low end I wanted with four drivers. The finished product is something like 34" x 10" x 5" (I can't remember exactly and don't feel like going downstairs to measure). I used a bottom front port design and a single Dayton tweeter in each cabinet. I stuffed the cabinet with from the top to just below the bottom driver (about 2/3 of the interior space). The sound actually amazed me and needed no tweaks.

My next project was a little better designed but there are changes I would still make. These cabinets are about 50" tall and have six drivers and two tweeters (Daytons again) each. They have two three inch ports at the bottom front.

However when I first listened to them the upper mid and high end overwhelmed the bass. The bass was there but was "hidden" by the highs. That was caused by the relatively higher SPL of the tweeters and other factors. I changed the crossover to a higher frequency and padded the tweeters between 2 & 3 dB. An amazing difference!

These have become my main system speakers. They are powered by a tube amp with approximately 8 watts per channel (probably four or five watts RMS) and will play louder than I care to listen and I like loud music.

Give them a try, at the price you can hardly go wrong. For a crossover (if you use one) first try just a cap. 1uF puts the xo at around 10-11K and the drivers seem pretty happy with that.

This new case may go into a set of HT speakers, though at least two are going into small one driver units for my shop.

Hide this!Advertise here!