Even Cheaper!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The 87 cent close-out 4" full-range Pioneers at Parts Express are now down to 49 cents (no minimum purchase). Bought a case even though I don't have a project for them right now. But at that price I couldn't pass them up!

I've built two speaker systems with these and have been very pleasantly surprised. Currently using the smaller system with my GC and the larger system with my tube amp in my main system.

(BTW, I have no association with PE other than as a satisfied customer.)

Sherman

Sherman said:

I've built two speaker systems with these and have been very pleasantly surprised. Currently using the smaller system with my GC and the larger system with my tube amp in my main system.

(BTW, I have no association with PE other than as a satisfied customer.)

Sherman

Is your GC also cheap and pleasantly surprising? Looking to get into that soon.

Dave

Sherman said:

Sherman
I bought 32 earlier today. What type of enclosures are you using and anything to supplement to high or low end? I'm looking at doing a dipole line array right now.

whoops

I orderd a few of the NSB's the other day. I ment to order 32. I was wandering what the shipping cost would be on 64 and put the quanity in ... nah...to much. I mean what would I do with 64 speakers....mmm... I thought I changed the qty back to 32 before submiting. I didn't and now have 64 NSB's comming.

Guess its time to build that 32driver line array....

Re: Re: Even Cheaper!

kneadle said:

Is your GC also cheap and pleasantly surprising? Looking to get into that soon.

Dave

Yes to both the cheap and pleasantly surprising on the GC. I have built a few now, one from BrianGT's kit and the others from scratch. All have sounded very good.

There is a set of photos of the one I built from BrianGT's kit on his website (and I think in the 'contest' thread here). I put that one in a couple of cigar boxes (one for the PS and one for the amp).

My next GC project will likely be a tube-buffered version.

Re: Re: Even Cheaper!

Luke (Uof Iowa) said:

...What type of enclosures are you using and anything to supplement to high or low end? I'm looking at doing a dipole line array right now.

My first enclosure was almost thrown together. I calculated the volume to give me the low end I wanted with four drivers. The finished product is something like 34" x 10" x 5" (I can't remember exactly and don't feel like going downstairs to measure). I used a bottom front port design and a single Dayton tweeter in each cabinet. I stuffed the cabinet with from the top to just below the bottom driver (about 2/3 of the interior space). The sound actually amazed me and needed no tweaks.

My next project was a little better designed but there are changes I would still make. These cabinets are about 50" tall and have six drivers and two tweeters (Daytons again) each. They have two three inch ports at the bottom front.

However when I first listened to them the upper mid and high end overwhelmed the bass. The bass was there but was "hidden" by the highs. That was caused by the relatively higher SPL of the tweeters and other factors. I changed the crossover to a higher frequency and padded the tweeters between 2 & 3 dB. An amazing difference!

These have become my main system speakers. They are powered by a tube amp with approximately 8 watts per channel (probably four or five watts RMS) and will play louder than I care to listen and I like loud music.

Give them a try, at the price you can hardly go wrong. For a crossover (if you use one) first try just a cap. 1uF puts the xo at around 10-11K and the drivers seem pretty happy with that.

This new case may go into a set of HT speakers, though at least two are going into small one driver units for my shop.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.