First time builder question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recon that the identical dimensions will cause a concentration of the standing wave problem (is that correct?), but why shouldn't there be more than 3:1 ? This would go against the design of many floorstanding speakers? :confused:

Has anyone tried such a speaker? How does it compare to a commercial one, say the B&W 309 floorstander?

I also considered this driver, but maybe supplemented with a super-tweeter at a first order HP filter, starting fairly high. (anyrecommendations?)

IF needs be, one could supplement it with an active sub. Again... comments welcome.

Jennice

Hey Tim, I haven't made my mind up yet on the 206 or the 207. Most likely will be the 207s. Since I'm limited on space they will do double duty as my main speakers for my home theather. Provided they work good in that position I'll probably build a center channel and some surrounds with the same type speaker. My next project will have to be a sub that will compliment the 207s but thats for another thread.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Jennice said:
I recon that the identical dimensions will cause a concentration of the standing wave problem (is that correct?), but why shouldn't there be more than 3:1 ? This would go against the design of many floorstanding speakers? :confused:

As one dimension starts to get significantly longer than the others a simple BR turns into an ML-TL and the BR tuning is no longer valid.

dave

As it stands right now my wife has helped me make my decision on the dimensions of the speaker. She doesn't like the look of a thin floor standing so I'll have to make the speaker shorter. Now I have to make a stand to match that she approves of also. Atleast she is approving these hobby projects. It took an ant of congress to get her approval for any money spent on the racecar.

Thanks for everyones help.

Inside is not Outside

No reason to allow the dismissal of long and thin to keep you from getting the Fostex up to seated ear height (around 33 -36").
You can artfully run the sides down to the floor allowing the box bottom to be suspended off ground, or build a separate false bottom sealed from the rest of the enclosure. Just make sure it is non-resonant(sand).

Many ways to keep height appropriate for the task without separate stands unless you like that look.

Tim

How obvious! *why couldn't I think of that myself...!? Duh!

I'm still somewhat confused... I guess it's just personal doubts, but can a speaker with one full-range like these really make as good a sound as 2-ways like the smaller B&W's (303 - 309)?

I know simplicity is a nice thing, but nothing should be simpler than it needs to be.

Jennice

Jennice said:
I'm still somewhat confused... I guess it's just personal doubts, but can a speaker with one full-range like these really make as good a sound as 2-ways like the smaller B&W's (303 - 309)?

Jennice

Yes.

Many ways to keep height appropriate for the task without separate stands unless you like that look.

Example.

Attachments

• bp103.jpg
    bp103.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 69
Jennice - I had doubts as well until I heard a set of fullrange speakers in a proper enclosure. They may not work as well for what I call busy music(lots of instruments) but for my listening taste and needs they should work great.

Best thing is to listen to a set with a CD you are familiar with. You'll be suprised I bet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.