Any better midrange or ribbon - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2004, 12:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Any better midrange or ribbon

Can this be bettered?

Raven R2 & ATC SM75-150S (in this price range)

How do the PHL midranges (1120, 1040) compare to the ATC?
How does the Excel M15CH001 compares to the ATC?
Old 27th September 2004, 05:13 PM   #2
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Default There are More!!!!

How about the BG Corp products????
I've used them for about two years now and I like them allot.
Good price to performance ratio and hard to beat.

Mark
Old 27th September 2004, 06:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'd like to think that Accuton's concave diamond tweeter performs better than the Raven R2. Its dispersion is higher (especially in the vertical direction, though that's not always desired), and it's no slouch in the supertreble frequencies either. Distortion... who knows?

EDIT: Bah, glossed over the "in this price range".
Old 28th September 2004, 07:58 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yeah but the diamond tweeter didn't make a big difference in the classic Avalon Eidolon according to the Audio.de magazin.

Anyone who have compared any of the ATC & RAVEN with other components like (PHL, EXCEL) ?

Thanks for the info BTW
Old 29th September 2004, 03:47 AM   #5
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

assuming you can deal with the moderate eff. of 91 db.. this is what I'd go for:

the largest of the LCY's - the 130
http://www.e-speakers.com/products/lcy-components.html

this will have a radiation pattern more consistent with a midrange and has a resonace low enough for 1st order filter above 5k

the Veravox 5 X
http://www.spectrumaudio.de/breit/ve...veravox5X.html

for a driver with an SD of a "5 inch" driver, this thing has REALLY low mms around 2.8 grams. Additionally the decay is excellent up to 5 kHz.

Of course if your not shy about prices I'd think it be pretty hard to beat the supravox field coil fullrange (at around 1,200 US), then look to Alain Ribbons (also on the e-speakers site) - note that these ribbons are the next evolution of the Raven drivers (at a stiff price).
Old 29th September 2004, 05:50 AM   #6
Steve M is offline Steve M  Australia
diyAudio Member

The most tonally accurate midrange/treble I've heard (from cone spkrs, that is) is the Raven R-1 ribbon tweeter with a 4" Accuton C79-2 ceramic midrange in combination with a Cabasse 21NDC honeycomb foam bass unit (lets not forget the importance of the bass driver and the lower midrange it adds, so it is important to have a high quality bass unit if you want good midrange).

However, the 'best' midrange bar none that I've heard is the Quad ESL-57 ! (I once had four pairs of them!). Now I use the even faster Mackinlay ESL-3, see www.eraudio.com.au .

Some quick midrange comparisons are:

- ATC 3" dome (as heard in a Proac EBS)...generally excellent & very musical, but not sure it's got the detail and speed of the Accuton.

- Seas Excel magnesium drivers(as heard in a $10,000 ten driver array) ...very good but there is a 'magnesium signature'. Sound is kind of crunchy and not entirely natural IMO.

- Scanspeak carbon drivers...nice and musical but a bit wooly and not the last word in detail retrieval.

- most polypropylene mid drivers...some are nice and musical but can't keep up with Accutons and any of the above for detail retrieval, IMO.

- Fostex FE206E...wonderfully fast, alive and efficient 8" point source driver! Plug and play with no crossover in a 20L box, and cheap too at $84USD each from Madisound. Nice open sounding addictive quality, tight imaging with a room filling electrostatic-like soundstage. Best used with competent BR/TL bass augmentation. Ultimately a bit scratchy sounding though, and not as tonally accurate as the Raven/Accuton combination.

Pics of these speakers mentioned attached.

For what it's worth...

Regards,

Steve M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im000088.jpg (86.1 KB, 1240 views)
Old 29th September 2004, 06:06 AM   #7
Steve M is offline Steve M  Australia
diyAudio Member

Pic of Double Fostex 206E mid/treble + Active Eton 11" hexacomb bass test mule...generally excellent combination all round!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im000737.ajpg.jpg (72.4 KB, 1152 views)
Old 29th September 2004, 11:19 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

THanks for the great info guys!

ScottG:
Is it true that Veravox 5 X is used in the Beauhorn B2 too?
Steve M:
Is the Accutons as musical as ATC dome?
(Here in Greece we have a dealer for the ATC and noone for Accuton)
Do you know the crossover points of the Accuton Raven Cabasse system? How was the bass of the Cabasse?
Which crossover point did you pick between the double Fostex and Eton 11"?
Does the Raven R1 have good enough vertical dispersion (due to less longer ribbon)?
Do the Eton midranges have nearly the same sound signature with the Excels (like a bit of cold sound)?
--
I really didn't like the SS Revelator 7" but I liked the 5" 15W/8530K00 and the carbon 18W/8545. How is this explained
Anyone about PHLs comprison with other components?

Thank you again for any help!
Old 29th September 2004, 04:10 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Also I think that Technology has changed a bit since PROAC EBS
Here's a pic of it after 1,5 hour of search:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ebs2.jpg (33.1 KB, 1085 views)
Old 29th September 2004, 06:47 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There are any number of Fostexes that make great midranges ... the FE108ES would be close to the top of my list (FA120 if you have more budget), and you can't leave out the Jordan JX53, JX92 & JX125.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!