FAQ for NOOB is needed!!! suggestion! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I haven't seen any FAQ for noobs in here
as i consider my self a noob
i've pass quite some time searching for answers that would've take a few seconds to find inside a general faq.

(I hope there is not faq that i didn't see, and if there it please point it to me asap! )

As a noob here are a few questions that i would like answers in a faq for references :

- musical frequencies VS Xovers ... where to use Xovers and where not too!

it would be really nice to know what freq. range need not to be truncated, and wich range are the most used for music
also at wich freq the human ears gets more details
( = need less distortion )

it is hard when thiking about a 2-3 way design, to know where to seperate the drivers if you don't have this info

- Thiel and smalle ( hope no typos ) parameters description
+ a usefull comment on to what it actually servers

i've found quite a few pages that gives the descrition,
but for a noob like me it doesn't quite mean nothing :(

would also be nice to know recommended parameters VS diff type of systems

- a list of the different popular configurations with their + and -

- a list of URL links with important information

i am sure that some of you have a good collection of bookmarks to share with tons of info for the noobs :)
could spare lots of time searching for the pages on the web

need to be in categories though ..

please all the NOOBS add your input of what is needed to this thread!

i am humbly asking you to take this thread as a sugestion!
i hope i am not giving redondant information and that it will be used to do good :p

thanks to all the rookies in here :)

good idea

Some questions come up on a weekly basis. (Do a search for 'suggestions' in just titles). They usually get answered. There are some generous forum members that have seemingly endless patience. But it still makes sense to have a wiki page with links to informative threads and posts.

It doesn't have to be a comprehensive guide, it should just cover things that keep comming up on the fourm. In the FAQ format the answers on the page should be links back into the forum. That way it is easy to maintain and anyone can add to it by adding links to relevant messages.

See an example of what I'm talking about on this other forum devoted to tablet PCs. http://tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=22

I have to agree that the loudspeaker section needs a WIKI!!!

A WIKI is a great way to avoid the constant redundant questions that tend to clog a forum section. The ones in other sections of this site are very handy! I've been going through this section eating up links, but it gets tedious.

If a mod will just start a WIKI, I would be happy to start putting up the links I've accumulated in this section. There are alot of great documents out there on the various loudspeaker designs being used here, as well as docs about the basics on up that would be handy for newbs to speaker building(like me) to access all in one place.

It would also be a boon to newbs to have links to all the sellers of quality kits, for those not wishing to go fullrange, or jump into XO building quite yet. Alot of the builders here have awesome sites, too, that deserve to be listed in a common place, so new members can see what they're aspiring too, and see that Hi Fi speakers on a beer budget is a real possibility, not just a pipe dream.

There's just too many options with loudspeakers DIY. A WIKI and FAQ would help us newbie's wade through the options more easily, and leave the forum space for resolving new problems,ideas,drivers etc...

Just my thoughts

I agree; I just went through all sorts of pain and misery trying to learn how to build my own stereo amp that would be reliable, affordable and sound good, the same way I can do with speakers. I still have no idea where to begin. Would that there were a WIKI for amps and loudspeakers!

But who's going to put together such a thing?

Dave

Boy do I feel silly. There is a Loudspeaker WIKI. I simply thought I remembered that forum sections with a WIKI had them as a permanent link at the top of the relative forum section. I was wrong. It seems it should be that way though.

After clicking the WIKI link on the main DIYAudio page I found links to all the other WIKI's.

The main WIKI:
http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/

The Loudspeaker WIKI:
http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=Loudspeaker

The Amplifier WIKI:
http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=Amplifier

Hope that helps some other people too.

I believe an "open-source-project" like the WIKI can potentially be much more informative/interesting than any DIY-book.(sorry Vance)
That assumes of course that there is permanent input.
I believe 90% don´t feel experienced enough (like me) to write something down and the rest doesn´t need it, doesn´t have the time or just can´t be bothered to repeat themselves over and over again.
And yes it´s true, it´s "all" in the forums already.
Especially in diyaudio.com there are not only frequently asked questions but also frequently answered ones.

That said I think a beginner is best to write something down as he learns his way through the jungle and because he speaks the language of the beginners.
"Experts" can correct where it´s needed.
Maybe a sticky thread with a joblist what has to be done to complete/correct a "chapter".???
Would be nice...

- Thiel and smalle ( hope no typos ) parameters description
+ a usefull comment on to what it actually servers

- a list of the different popular configurations with their + and -
- a list of URL links with important information
Ideally the xover wont split the vocal fundamental range up,because thats where the perfection is needed first of all. Any xover causes SOME sort of error be it-phase error of high order,or driver overlap due to 1st order xovers.

The ear is the most efficient near 3khz. Vocal fundamentals range from 120hz for males-> ~2khz Ofcourse the harmonics extend higher.

The single driver boys love their one driver,covering 100hz-10khz with frequency response ups and downs,but its 'coherent' aparently

Im a sub guy-the main speaker design is harder.

You should-copy some one elses design-make a kitset-the xovers and drivers are already proven and worked out!

www.diysubwoofers.org
t/s specifications
Subwoofer box types

Forum
www.jlaudio.com/tutorials
The myth of the magic box
Isobarik loading
Acoustic output relationships
Ports
Designing subwoofer enclosures

http://ldsg.snippets.org/idx.php3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.