Spicatto Dipoles - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2004, 07:26 AM   #1
Raka is offline Raka  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Spicatto Dipoles

Here you are some pictures of my ongoing project. A 3 way dipole speaker called "Spicatto"
The drivers are XLS10, Vifa XTWO and the SS9700. There is no sound yet, as the active filter it's being discussed and studied with the kx drivers. Measurements of the drivers have been made with speakerworkshop, and of course polite comments are welcome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spicatto0.jpg (41.0 KB, 1338 views)
Old 26th September 2004, 07:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

26Kg each channel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spicatto1.jpg (38.3 KB, 1027 views)
Old 26th September 2004, 10:14 AM   #3
Tomac is offline Tomac  Croatia
diyAudio Member

This is really nice looking speaker.It is an OB right? Well I cannot see back side on pictures,but it looks thin to be a box speaker. I wonder what was your reason to put both bass drivers in front and not one versus another(one firing to back wall)? I'm not suggesting it would work better,but I'mtrying to figure out concept of OB bass,and you could be of some help
Old 26th September 2004, 04:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomac
It is an OB right?
Note the title - DIPOLES ... so yes this is an open baffle dipole.

I think you are talking about push pull mounting where one driver is rotated 180 degrees and they are wired with reverse polarity. This cancels distortion.

Raka, did you consider push pull mounting?

I must say I'm very pleased to see a project with the Vifa XT midbass, haven't seen it before and it has appeal especially being unique. It's actually a very distinctive driver. I'm very interested to hear your comments on what it sounds like.

Very very nice work
Old 26th September 2004, 05:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the cumpliments

I considered pushpull, but after making some test by hearing, I couldn't distinguish one from each other, even I might have liked more the push push. By the way, it only cancels even order harmonics.

I'll let you know how good performer is the Vifa, it was recommended by a very good speaker builder, I have never listened to it yet. His Qms is more than five !!
Old 26th September 2004, 05:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to joe carrow
It does look good Wood is my favorite color!

You said that comments are welcome? I guess I'd just say that it looks a little tippy. If you've got pets or small children, I would consider adding a base to it. Of course, you might have thought of this and weighted the bottom already- but I didn't see.

There definitely seems to be a new wave of enthusiasm for open baffles on this forum. I am definitely considering a project like this- though somewhat different. Would you mind sharing what you expect the crossover points to be, and expected bass response? Will you be using a subwoofer?

Rock on.

Joe
Old 26th September 2004, 06:05 PM   #7
Zaph is offline Zaph  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Spicatto Dipoles

Quote:
Originally posted by Raka
Here you are some pictures of my ongoing project. A 3 way dipole speaker called "Spicatto"
The drivers are XLS10, Vifa XTWO and the SS9700. There is no sound yet, as the active filter it's being discussed and studied with the kx drivers. Measurements of the drivers have been made with speakerworkshop, and of course polite comments are welcome
Very nice looking! Let us know what you think of those wood cones.

I'm using the carbon fiber version in some MTM's and I like them quite a bit, at least in the critical midrange. I'm using them sealed right now, but I made the baffle removable and I may just pop them on a dipole baffle some day.

Click the image to open in full size.

And when I get around to trying the dipole version, I'm going to try this edge technique. It will give me a nice smooth 2" roundover. I'll probably do 60 degrees rather than the 120 degrees shown. This was just a test bend.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 26th September 2004, 07:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joe carrow
It does look good Wood is my favorite color!

You said that comments are welcome? I guess I'd just say that it looks a little tippy. If you've got pets or small children, I would consider adding a base to it. Of course, you might have thought of this and weighted the bottom already- but I didn't see.

There definitely seems to be a new wave of enthusiasm for open baffles on this forum. I am definitely considering a project like this- though somewhat different. Would you mind sharing what you expect the crossover points to be, and expected bass response? Will you be using a subwoofer?

Rock on.

Joe
Yes, there is kind of a base, and might add some weight in the bottom.
No, I don't think I will add a sub, but who knows , maybe I start to watching DVD films very loud
The XLS can't be crossed high (not that I want), and the expected cut will be 24LR at 120150Hz. The tweeter will start to run from 1650 up, also with an acoustic 24LR. The standard baffle compensation, roll off included, just to get flat until 30Hz. Maybe lower, but don't think so as I listen to vinyl mainly.
Old 27th September 2004, 03:26 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Raka,

I think push push looks better. Good idea to actually use your ears instead of blindly following what most suggest. I have heard comments that even order harmonic distortion isn't something to worry about unless you are a strict purist - it can sound pleasant and even better. This is why so many like valve amps.

John,

How did you get that curve? Did you cut all the way through? If so how did you arrange them when you put that *veneer (?)* on?

What are your thoughts on the XT drivers. If I recall their price is similar to Scan Speak drivers, but haven't really heard anyone's comments on what they sound like.
Old 27th September 2004, 04:06 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I know this thread is for Rakas beautiful speakers, but...... Zaph, I love you man. That bend in the mdf is the coolest thing I have ever seen done with that material. You have just revolutionized the way I will build things in the future. Its one of those "why the ******* didn't I think of that" ways of doing something.

Hide this!Advertise here!