newbie question, don't laugh pls...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi,

i got a couple of speakers from a friend that are about 5inches in diameter. the markings say 80 watts 8 ohms and not much else.
i loaned my camera to my sister so i'll just describe how they look:

the front are covered with grills. the back right below the magnet (where there should be the spider and where you should be able to see the back of the cone), is sealed with a metal cover.

i've searched this forum on how to handle these types of speakers but have found no references. pls help: do they need enclosures or were they meant not to be in boxes?

And can their T/S numbers be measured the same way as other speakers?

thanks, would appreciate any help

can you see any of the back of the cone?
or does the enclosure go all the way to the basket edge?

if it's the former then they're probably sheilded speakers from a tv or somat and will need a box to sit in

the latter a sealed mid range and wont need the loading a box provides

either way they can be measured just like every other speaker

hi synergy,

thanks for the quick response! it's the latter. the cone is not visible from the back. the magnet is exposed and messes up the tv picture if placed anywhere near it, so i guess it's not shielded.

does this mean that they can be installed just about anywhere? (and no need to measure T/S bec. there's no box to fiddle with).

thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.