Direct/Reflecting loudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's how it's done

I guess I spoke too soon. I went to the Bose web site and leard the secret to effective Direct/Reflecting speakers. The sound comes from these irregular-pentagonal enclosures which which have 8 or 9 drivers in the back, and 1 or 2 in the front. This is because Bose research has found that concert hall music is only 11% directly at you, and 89% away from you. So if you can build speakers that produce sound at an 8:1 or 9:1 ratio (9 reflected:1 direct), theoretically, you can produce the sound as it would come from an instrumentalistint he concert hall. That's the inspiration for the Bose speakers.

Rory,
The problem with the Bose direct/reflecting concept is that it's a solution in search of a problem. The result is not unlike adding a (short period) reverb unit to your system--sure, you can do it--but who'd want to?
Note that not one other company has made any effort to copy any of the ideas that Bose has come up with. It's not because of patents, as there's always a way around patents if you try hard enough, it's because there's no point in doing so. Amar (I think that's his first name--it's been a while) Bose's genuis lies not in audio innovation, but in marketing...

Grey

Or to put it another way...

The direct/reflecting issue is this. While it may be true that reflection makes up a large percentage of the actual noise we hear, several other issues make that actual percentage moot.

First, if mikeing a show, the microphone "hear" both. Accuratly reproducing both is the goal, not adding even more reflections. Your stereo pair try to mimic the mics.

Secondly, and even more difficult to deal with, is your brain. It does not process everything that comes to it. Some is rjected by your ears themselves, other bits by the brain. The whole science of perception is a study of this.

So to me, if Bose could know what your brain does with a set of pressure levels, he might have a shot. As it is, he just seems to be adding noise. It may be pleasent noise to some, but not me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.