Looking for a nice 4" midrange, any suggestions??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2004, 05:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cody6766
Default Looking for a nice 4" midrange, any suggestions???

Hey all, I was directed over here from Elite Car Audio in hopes of finding a good 4" driver for my car.
I need it to:
work well in a sealed kick pannel
take 75w at 4 ohms or 35w at 8
Play from 200hz (12 or 24 dB) to 2khz (12db)
stay under $100-150 for the pair. (cheaper is better as long as the driver is good)

They will be matched with a Focal k1 6.5 mid-bass, and a Morel MT10 tweet. I'm running all active xovers, so the resistance isn't an issue. I listen to mostly Rock music, but enjoy some Jazz, Blues and the like now and again. I need something that can play loud as well.

Right now I'm running a pair of 4" mids that were made by Vifa for JBL. I bought them from PartsExpress, if that rings a bell. I'm happy with their sound quality, they just can't handle the power I'm throwing at them. Burning voice coil has plagued my car a number of time

Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 23rd September 2004, 06:28 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default N

cody,

No idea how this might sound as I have no experience with this unit, but Peerless makes good value stuff, usually. Price is right. Check the first unit after Peerless, the "car audio", woofers, and finally CD division - #830516. The CSX 5" looks very good if you can carve up the door a bit.

http://www.d-s-t.com/peerless/index.htm

Also, have a look at the new Morel mid. Looks pretty high tech, though it doesn't go low enough to meet your bandwidth requirements, it has great power handling and covers a decade.

http://www.morel.co.il/

Available through Madisound, probably.

Tim
Old 24th September 2004, 05:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

TTT, any other suggestions? I've read some good things about Tang Band, and have had good results with both Morel and Vifa, how do those stack up against other ~$50 drivers?

keep em comming!
Old 24th September 2004, 10:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

4.5" maybe? http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=WR125S
Old 25th September 2004, 04:09 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

any power specs? Adire's reputation says more than enough, but I need to know if it'll work w/35w @ 8ohms or 70w @ 4ohms
Old 25th September 2004, 03:06 PM   #6
Mats J is offline Mats J  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Burning voice coil has plagued my car a number of time
More often than not, that is a result of the amp clipping because its too small for the volume you want, so it wouldn't matter if the driver could handle 250W.
Old 25th September 2004, 03:35 PM   #7
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Oh. yer looking for a cheap one. I've got some nice ones..but..they's kinda pricey.

Cheapies..hhmm....

stick to open baskets, vented structures, both spyder and pole being vented. Place it in it's own critically damped (0.5 or lower, in my experience) sub enclosure. anything with non vented structre or design tends to sound very constrained. pinched, etc. ucky! bad sound! bad! (smack..owww!)

as a possible choice, one of the smaller morels would work beautifully. However, that is a bit out of the price range you are looking for, and if it is to be a 90db sensitivity speaker, morel can't be your choice.
Old 25th September 2004, 04:18 PM   #8
MarkMcK is offline MarkMcK  United States
diyAudio Member

If you are looking for Tang Band, then go to:

http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthrea...355&highlight=

The four-inch models are 40 watts RMS before burn out. I do not know what the power rating is on your JBL drivers.

Mark
Old 25th September 2004, 06:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=299-495

These are the Vifa drivers I have now. I'm giving them a good 2x their rated power (probably a little more because good car audio amps are almost always underrated), so I know I was looking for trouble. I'm almost positive the amp isn't clipping. I have my gains all set properly, and I'm not hearing any kind of distortion or other problems from my morel tweets that are playing off the other 2 channels of that amp (4 channel).
Old 25th September 2004, 07:51 PM   #10
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
cody i think i've been where you are trying to go. i dont know anything short of marcom (morel's car audio line used to be called macrom) that will work with such high power demands. too bad they are expensive but morel used to licence their voice coil from dynaudio at one time so they have good pedigree.

Hide this!Advertise here!