Using piezo tweeters - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2001, 03:10 PM   #11
John L is offline John L  United States
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Piezo Tweeters

AE has a good point. Mike Klasco, in his article that I mentioned above advises the use of a 20-50 ohm parallel resistor. The best thing to do is simply to experiment with the setup. But keep this in mind. Piezo tweeters, with the exception of the ll88A are inherently cheap cost wise. Also, like race horses, they want to rush ahead of the other drivers, so the proper restraint must be used. And in order to do this, the cure of taming them could be costly in terms of crossover parts. Now, David Weems suggests the 8 ohm parallel resistor, with the 8 ohm L-Pad arangement. I like both aproaches, so which resistor you use in parallel is something that must be tested. Remember, your tastes will be different from others. Also, the use of the 8 ohm L-Pad allows for a certain amount of Ley-way, and this I think is a must. The 1188A's that I use are super smoothe to listen to, and I have had guests, who make their own systems, refuse to believe that they are the dreaded Piezo. That is until I show them. Now, I don't bother removing the back panel of the speaker, because 'show and tell' has become such a pain in the 'you know what'. Here is something else that speaks well for the 1188A. Frequency responce goes all the way down to 800HZ, so they are perfect with almost any woofer to be used in a two-way system. This wide range in frequency response is one of the reasons that each horn costs over $25. Believe me, they are worth every penny spent on them! The problem as I see it is that there are so many great high frequency drivers on the market that it is easy to discount the lowly Piezo. This makes it easy for the overwhelming majority of us to turn up our noses at them, without even giving them a good shot for acceptance. Here is something else that also speaks well for the piezo. Using them at the rear or side of the enclosure adds to the depth of presence to the listening environment. With the L-Pad in use, the listener can add or subtract its presence. Try that out sometimes, and you will really like this setup. Anyway, happy experimenting! And remember, never take other's words of wisdom as gospal. Before you decide, check it out yourself, and you may be pleasantly surprised. John L
Old 5th November 2001, 08:07 PM   #12
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

Just out of curiosity, how do you use piezos without a crossover? Do you mean by using a crossover for the mids/woofers, but not for the piezo? I'm rather confused, sorry.
Old 6th November 2001, 07:05 AM   #13
 is offline
diyAudio Member

Default No crossover means just that.

Connect them up straight away, crossover not absolutely needed. Two wires 2 connections. Plus to +, minus to - OK.
Old 6th November 2001, 03:04 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default No Crosswover?

AE is right but, in my opinion I'm sure in his as well, I would not advise this approach unless you just absolutely have to have the lows and highs without the presence of the midrange frequency. The piezo will simply overpower everything else! John L
Old 6th November 2001, 06:54 PM   #15
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

John L, you said in your first post that you use an 8ohm resistor and an 8ohm pot, does this mean the 8ohm resistor in parallel and the 8ohm pot in series?
Old 6th November 2001, 08:46 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Hook up for L-Pad

Joe, the L-Pad will have three poles, unlike the regular resistor. I would hook it up before or after the speaker and parallel resistor. If before, one lead would go the the "+" lead, one would go the woofer, and the third would go to the Parallel resistor. If after, one lead would go the the "-" lead, and the last two to the ones mentioned above. You will have to follow the directions for the L-Pad as to where each lead goes in which order. Thanks, John

Hide this!Advertise here!