Instant Crossover Prototyping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Btw, I rename most plug-ins to remind myself of function. Here is a shot of the pulldown list...

Attachments

• screenshot3.jpg
    screenshot3.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 781
Heh, I'm going to use this as an active crossover for a pair of 3-way speakers I haven't built yet, but I was just playing around with the features on the speakers I have hooked up to my PC. I'm completely blown away, this is really really great. Anyone who uses an HTPC owes it to themselves to buy an Audigy 2, install KX, and play around. It's got a slight learning curve, but I think anyone who is reading these forums probably has enough technical know-how to figure things out, plus you can always use the KX project forums. Thanks again for the great recommendation BZ.

bzdang said:
Yes this is good stuff I agree. This software reprograms the dsp in creative soundcards which contain the 10k1 and 10k2 dsp chips originally created by EMU for their APS professional sound card. There is a list of compatible cards on the kxproject website. Creative bought EMU and used the dsp to produce a new product called the 'Live!'. Audigy products are decendants of the Live. As Raka pointed out, Creative is selling soundcards that exploit the Audigy brand name but don't have this dsp. Beware!

sorry to drag this one up but the other thread reminded me

my soundcard has just died and it looks like i'll be getting a cheap one for xmas to keep me going till i can afford a delta1010

anyways this looks like it could be a really good idea but i'm floundering as to which cards use the right chips

anyone help?

cheers dave

Below are some clippings from the kxproject forum and website. I recommend that you get an audigy '1' or '2' OEM (white box) board, they have a large dsp on board, some might be 'ZX' or MP3+, the second generation boards cost a bit more and have better s/n at the analog inputs. If you find something and want to verify, post here and I'll look it up.

Kxproject drivers 3538 are still BETA and being field tested, use 3537.

Cheers,
bzdang

The Extigy and Audigy2 NX and Audigy LS cards are NOT 10k1/10k2-based cards (most of their functionallity is software-based), and/or they are USB audio devices thus they are not kX-compatible.

kX-compatible soundcards include all EMU10k1 and EMU10k2-based PC soundcards manufactured by Creative Technology Ltd. and/or E-mu Systems Inc., including:
# The E-mu Audio Production Studio (APS) card
# The motherboard models of 10k1 cards (M002, M003 and others)
# PCI256 (CT4890, CT4891 and CT4893) and PCI512 (CT4820 and SB0150) including OEM model (CT4790)
# The original Live! (CT4620) and Live! Value cards (CT4670)
# The Live! X-Gamer, Live! MP3+, Live! Player 1024, Live! Platinum cards (CT4760) and value cards (CT4780)
# The Live! X-Gamer 5.1, Live! MP3+ 5.1, Live! Player 5.1, Live! Platinum 5.1, Live! Digital Entertainment 5.1 cards (SB0060, SB0100, SB0102, SB0220, SB0222, SB0103 and SB0105) and Value 5.1 (SB0101)
# The generic and custom OEM Live cards (CT4830, CT4831, CT4832, CT4850, CT4870, CT4871 and CT4872)
# The Audigy series, including the Audigy MP3+, X-Gamer, Platinum and OEM cards (CT0070, CT0072, SB0090 and SB0092).

Support for Audigy2 series is available for the latest releases of the driver.

merlinx:

I think I understand what you're trying to say and I don't think it can work. Although you can control the S/PDIF output via kxproject, you can't map discrete channels to it, you could only map other S/PDIF material to it. The reason (I believe) is because the material that is output through the S/PDIF output has to be encoded as AC3 audio and I don't know of a way to accomplish this. Even if you were to be able to, you'd have to have a seperate S/PDIF decoder to allow you to connect the channels to a multi-channel amp for active crossing.

Short answer, this won't work.

What you can do is use the 6 discrete analog outputs to create a 3-way active crossover. Incidentally this is what I'm using the kxproject for.

You might be able to do something very very complicated involving ASIO and an Nvidia Soundstorm (Reaktek ALC650) which can do Dolby Digital 5.1 real-time encoding, but it's a longshot and like m0tion suggested, just use the analog outputs - works well, I'm doing that with an old Audigy '1' for a stereo 3-way crossover.

Just posted this over at the driverhaven.net forums. Wondering if you guys could help me out?

I have an Athlon 1.4ghz with a Sound Blaster Live! Value CT4670 that has NOTHING loaded on it besides Windows XP and the KX drivers. I want to use this computer 100% for active crossover duty for my speaker building hobby. I have the newest release, 3538-debug. In the bottom right side of my screen it says: CT4670 10k1 [d800]

I've read every thread I could and have fiddled with this awesome program for hours and can't seem to figure out how to use this for what I need to do. I would like it to function as a 24db/octave crossover for a set of 2-way speakers I'm building. I wouldn't mind using an equalizer with these to help tame them if they need it.

Can this be done with the old Sound Blaster I have or do I need the newer, 10k2 chip? If you could show me any tutorials on how to achieve something like this I would GREATLY appreciate it. Heck, I can't even figure out all the sound directing lines under the kX DSP window!

I'll keep searching and reading and I do GREATLY appreciate any information you can provide me!

Thanks!

Hi Mazeroth, I wish to help you but I have been (and will be) very busy over the holidays. Can you search here in diyaudio for 'bzdang' posts, many of them pertain to kxproject and you may find the info that you require in some of them. I will also recommend that you download the 3537 version of the driver and the ufx plugin for 3537, as 3538 is under development and is unfinished. I don't know if the LR crossovers and parametric EQ are available for 3538 version yet.
Cheers, I will look in to this thread from time to time.

Just wanted to say thanks very much bzdang for bringing this to my attention. I went out and got a cheap Live card, and last night finally installed it and got the whole setup up and running. From start to finish it took maybe 1.5 hours to get a simple 2 way crossover going. This is great, it lets me get an idea for how the drivers interact and what slopes might work before I get down to the 'serious' passive XO design. Also, it will come in very handy for putting a subsonic filter on my new nearfield monitors which should make them virtually indestructible! Thanks again!

Just got my 3-way active speaker hooked up to my Creative Audigy2 via my 3-channel BrianGT LM3886 gainclone amp. I'm hearing a pretty loud hiss on all three channels (out of the tweeter, mid, and bass drivers) and I've isolated it to the Audigy2 card. When I have a different input connected to the gainclone I don't hear it and even when I remove the input from the Audigy2 card I still hear it. I even tried the Audigy2 outputs on a different amplifier connected to different speakers and I still hear it. I don't have a problem with this kind of noise on my Hercules Fortissimo III card in the same PC. The noise (a sort of hiss/hum) is much stronger in the tweeter than the mid, and stronger in the mid than the bass. It also seems unaffected by the "gain" controls in the KX DSP. I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this kind of noise coming from one of the creative cards, could this possibly be caused by a mis-configuration of the KX Project drivers? Help! =)

I can see that you've used the 'prolog' object to get audio into the DSP, try replacing it with 'Src' from the ProFX group, double-click it and select FXBus 0/1 from the available choices.

Then replace the output object [I can't see which one you're using but it's probably epilog] with 'k2lt' from the ProFX group, it has a dialog box to assign physical outputs to pairs of its 'terminals'.

Then go into kxmixer and mute all of the AC97 stuff.

How are you controlling volume of your system? I crank the volume in the kxmixer and in any playback software, and then adjust input pots on my amplifiers to set a desired maximum level. This is better for signal to noise ratio than running the amps wide open with lower soundcard output level, also is much easier on the ears if you have an 'accident'.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.