SEAS T17RE (823), need detail/review/opinion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes i have heard of this driver and was going to comment yesterday but could not because the link didnt work then. Now I have tried it again and it works.

I see you have added another driver to the list of ones you wanted to use.

I would use this driver

http://www.solen.ca/pics/seas/t17re.jpg

over the vifa anyway simply because I would like to make a TPX/PP coned speaker to see what its like. The driver has a nice smooth roll off which should make xover design fairly easy.

I think these drivers sound quite good too. I would bet they sound better then the aging vifa driver too.

thanks for the comment. yes, I hoped it would sound better because I have heared some say the vifa dosen't give a very good and clear sound but is used often because it is easy to crossover.
I assume the driver is the one I suggested, beacause I have just checked and the other two T17RE are coexial (spelling?) drivers, which is, if I understood correctly, a woofer and a tweeter mounted together.

o.k then I think that's what I would buy-I sounds good( if to your word for it ;)) and it cost just a few $ more then the vifa .
thanks again
Jonathan

just another last question and I'll know for sure which drivers I would take.
it's regarding the tweeters, untill now I thought about DX25TG but now I have seen also the XT25TG tweeter which looks good, and I have seen it used in some high end projects, could you reccomand one?

Troels Gravesen built a 3-way hybrid dipole (vented bass, dipole midrange, monopole treble) called the Acapella LT95, with this as the mid. In this setup (~300Hz to 3KHz) he commented favourable on it's abilities:

"The T17RE driver is a remarkable driver delivering a midrange with clean and apparent undistorted sound. It’s very easy in terms of crossover"

I hope this is of some help, and hopefully not taken out of context. For precise detail you should read his paper:

http://skourup.com/Troels.Gravesen/Acapella_Project_All_Files.pdf (3MB)

piro said:
link

Anyone is farmiliar with this driver and can say something about, if possible compared to ol' vifa p17?

thanks
piro-

Where are you getting this driver? I have checked Madisound and Meniscus, but they don't have it listed (I haven't emailed them to check, though). Seems like the coax version is readily available, but not the standard H823 driver, at least in the US.

[edit] Well, I see Solen in Canada has them.

5th element said:
Hello I hadnt seen the post had progressed. Anyway, the XT25 tweeter is supposed to be very good if you work it correctly. This according to what I have read is not an easy task tho, so good luck if you decide to use this tweeter.

Which tweeter would you recommend to go along with this speaker? The Acapella uses the SS 9500, which is pretty expensive. I have heard too many conflicting reports about the XT25 to use it. I am interested in this speaker, but not sure what tweeter in the US$30-$60 range would work well with it. In fact, the T17RE Coax is very interesting, but I don't know about the tweeter in that unit.

piro said:
yes they do, but they are so damn pricy, I emailed them to find out their price and it's something like 67$!
Zalytron sales them for only 47$. though I emailed them and didn't get a response about shipping I've heared that if u call them it's fine.

http://zalytron.com/seas.html

Wow, that is a really good price at zalytron. I would be shipping overseas, too. Very interesting...

Yes the SEAS 27TFFC and its "replacement" the TDFC will be a good match for the T17.

I am planning to use the XT25 in the future because I too have read good and bad things about it and want to see whats what for myself.

Its compared to the scan95 but then every tweeter seems to be.

From what I have read it can compete with the scan device but is much more limited in its application.

For instance the scan device it pretty much indestructable and can handle really low xovers, one of its main features. The XT cannot go as low, even if its specs say otherwise, it simply doesnt sound good when crossed lower, its distortion increases.

Also because it doesnt use ferro fluid in the gap it adds more complications, because of the undamped resonance.

These are some reasons why the XT isnt recommened to people without measuring software and a good knowledge of what they are doing.

I see them as a good device though, IF (and its a big if) they do sound as good as, or close to as good as the scan95 then they are a damn site cheaper which makes them highly desireable.

But unlike the 95 you have to choose your mid/bass with caution making sure it will sound good crossed over at 2.5khz+ if not more.

about the T17re, do you think it would be wise to xover it in 3-4 KHz? so I will use its' natural rollof?

Actually in 99% of loudspeakers the drivers natural roll off is a part of the final acoustic slope anyway. However you are probably refering to using no crossover on the mid/bass. You will still need to include baffle step compensation though so keep this in mind.

When I design a loudspeaker (albeit with software) I have a rough idea where I want the xover to be but remain flexable. Sometimes the way two drivers interact with their phase often doesnt leave much room for a crossover of your choice. You simple have to just use what works, this is somewhat harder infact almost impossible if you dont have measuring software. But I wouldnt worry about it too much at the moment, just get something built and enjoy it.

I would recommend a crossover between 2 and 4khz (4 being the max I would take it too if required). The SEAS 27TFFC can cope with an xover of 2khz so is a good choice here, if you want to play around. If you want a specific figure I would try 3khz. But I cannot recommend anything other then that because I cant measure them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.