making a phase plug?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello, i was wondering how you guys make phase plugs... i've been wanting to experiment with some on the parts express buyout drivers (4" full range) and need to know how to make them...i do have a laithe but i've never used it before...(its a part of the shopsmith i own)...

suggestions? is it something i can just buy cheaply somewhere?

thanks!

an idea...

i read that material doesn't really matter that much, but shape does...

i was thinking of carving one out of wood to the right size and spae then casting a mold of it and making them out of clear resin (very similar to epoxy)...would this work well? it seems that it would...

anyone?

anyone want to give me some better answers? some cheap alternatives? i still think i'll go the mold rout since that wal i'll be able to make tons of em easily:cool: and i can do spiffy things with em...

so...any ideas? i just need to construct one of em then i can make the mold...:)

Try searching a bit. I know Timn8ter has made them for his speakers. Actually, someone else may have made them for him. Don't remember.

His were made of wood and cleverly used a pair of tiny steel screws in the bottom so the speaker magnet held it in place.

I don't know that you even need a lathe. You could probably make them using a drill as a makeshift lathe especially for a driver as small as that.

nerd of nerds said:
hello, i was wondering how you guys make phase plugs... i've been wanting to experiment with some on the parts express buyout drivers (4" full range) and need to know how to make them...i do have a laithe but i've never used it before...(its a part of the shopsmith i own)...

suggestions? is it something i can just buy cheaply somewhere?

thanks!

What is a phase plug?
What does it do?
Ideally, it is an object placed in front of your driver/speaker which interferes with the sound paths.

If you look at your speaker, you'll notice the potential for different sounds coming from different parts of the speaker 'driver' itself.
Different locations of the driver have different distances to travel to your ear.
The phase plug attempts to equalise the distances travelled.
This works great for horns or for single listening locations.
But it *could* make matters worse for other listening locations.

So, learn more about what you want your phasing plug to do :)

Re: Re: making a phase plug?

myhrrhleine said:

What is a phase plug?
What does it do?
Ideally, it is an object placed in front of your driver/speaker which interferes with the sound paths.

If you look at your speaker, you'll notice the potential for different sounds coming from different speaker locations to have different distances to travel.
The phase plug attempts to equalise the distances travelled.
This works great for horns or for single listening locations.
But it *could* make matters worse for other listening locations.

So, learn more about what you want your phasing plug to do :)

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/pp-info.html

more that a few posters to this forum can speak to the efficacy and quality of Dave's product.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: making a phase plug?

myhrrhleine said:
What is a phase plug?
What does it do?

The most important job of the phase plug is to fill the hole after you take off the dustcap... the secondary job is to help extend/disperse the HF if needed (like in a full-range) -- this last is where the shape plays a role. In a woofer often the best phase plug is made of thick wool felt.

You can play with almost anything that has suitable diameter for a phase plug ... ie SY sent me some transformers. He used a bunch of surplused neocork plastic wine bottle corks as packing. Add a pair of screws in each one and they make great budget phase plugs for drivers with 1" (or slightly less) VCs (i'm happy to send these off for cost of shipping). dowlling, lipstick caps, you name it can be repurposed.

dave

When I was experimenting with different shapes for the phase plugs I designed to go with the Mangers I used blu-tac and held it in front of the driver with a bit of coat-hanger wire! It did the job while I took measurements. I never did make final ones from wood as I sold the Mangers but it showed a definitely improvement to the dispersion and it was easy enough to change the shape bit by bit until I got the best results I could.

Nerd of Nerds,

Since you already have the lathe,why not learn how to turn them,it is a very basic lathe project.With a little practice,you could turn them faster than you could mold them.

Do a google search for the American Association of Woodturners.There is probably a local chapter near you,where you could find someone to help to get you started.

There are lots of instructional books and videos on woodturning available if you can't find someone locally.

Yep. I tried some int threaded hex rod, with a bolt in the end. Had to pull real hard to get it out. More nerving than cutting the cap.

This is the on axis response of the first shape used on my Wharfedales, using a rat shack SPL meter. ie 0db at 10 K, -18 dB at 20K

Attachments

• on axis.jpg
    on axis.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 804
Can anyone tell me if there are disadvantages in using phase plugs in drivers that are mounted in sealed enclosures?

I fancy giving this a try on my mission 753's, however the mids are in sealed boxes. My worry is that the box will no longer be sealed. Will it be a problem, or is the gap too small to worry about?

Regards

Blair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.