cabinet dampening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm just completing my first project (EFE Peerless). I'm very happy with my cabinet so far. My question is, what am I trying to achieve with dampening the cabinets. How much fill should I use? Do I line all inside walls? Do I leave most of the cabinet open? Thanks for any responses. Will 1" foam and poly fill work well?

Rob

Actually, definitions from reputable dictionaries such as Oxford allow the use of either damping or dampening if you want to "stifle" or "choke" something. In fact "dampening" is IMO grammatically slightly superior because the word "dampen" is always a verb, whereas "damp" can also sometimes be a noun (eg: the house has mould and damp) - which makes it slightly ambiguous if you add the suffix "ing".

There is no such ambiguity with the word dampening. "A dampening material" (v.tr)dampens something, eg: vibrations or a carpet. OTOH "a damping material" either (v.tr)damps something, eg: vibrations or a carpet, or it adds (n)damp to something, though I must admit I haven't heard the second meaning used particularly often.

Anyway.... yeah, do a search, there's tonnes (not tons) of stuff to be found.

CeramicMan said:
Actually, definitions from reputable dictionaries such as Oxford allow the use of either damping or dampening if you want to "stifle" or "choke" something. In fact "dampening" is IMO grammatically slightly superior because the word "dampen" is always a verb, whereas "damp" can also sometimes be a noun (eg: the house has mould and damp) - which makes it slightly ambiguous if you add the suffix "ing".

Give Bill a break he is from New Hampshire. I know you probably don't know where that is, but just trust me. He once told me I was wrong for suggesting that wood putty can be used for speaker cabinets.

rgc, if the cabinet is sealed I usually add so the cabinet is full, loosely packed. That's kind of vague though. If vented, I'm not sure. Maybe just 1" on the walls, maybe a little more. I like this link http://www.integracaraudio.com/caraudio/resources/fiberfill/ Has to do with subs but it really helped me with my speaker stuffing questions.

Judging from the flag, that's somewhere in "USA". Hmmm, I'll get a map and try looking for that first....

Just look for the words 'God's Country'. It's just north of Taxachusetts, a dreary bog inhabited by Massholes and other assorted cretins, though it does enjoy the distinction of being the home of the WORLD CHAMPION NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS football team and the about-to-be World Champion Boston Red Sox.

BillFitzmaurice said:
Just look for the words 'God's Country'. It's just north of Taxachusetts, a dreary bog inhabited by Massholes and other assorted cretins, though it does enjoy the distinction of being the home of the WORLD CHAMPION NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS football team and the about-to-be World Champion Boston Red Sox.

Lol, taxachusetts. It is true people in Taxachusetts are relatively intelligent and care about progress to say the least, except in western Tax, which is almost like New Hampshire. Sorry couldn't make fun of the name "New Hampshire" cause no one cares about NH outside of the state itself, so they never thought of a creative nickname.

"God's country" hu? It all makes even more sense now. Let me guess you drive a Ford F150 with a "guns don't kill people, people kill people" bumpersticker.

Let me guess you drive a Ford F150 with a "guns don't kill people, people kill people" bumpersticker.

Like all the inhabitants of the best State in the Union my license plate reads: 'Live Free or Die.' A notion we take quite seriously.

We don't call it God's Country because we're Bible thumpers. It's because He took a look around heaven and found it wanting, so he up and moved here. Got his own private island on Lake Winnepesaukee, which was just named the best place in the US to live; God just figured it out a bit sooner than the rest of the world.

As to the intelligence of anyone who lives in our neighbor to the south, a few weeks ago Taxachusetts had a 'sales tax free day'. One lousy day. Whoopie. New Hampshire has no sales tax 365 1/4 days a year, and no income tax either. And you call the inhabitants of Massachusetts relatively intelligent? Compared to where? Mississippi?

Oh no. It's Mass vs. NH. I am happy to say that I grew up in NH and made the escape to Mass. Granted, I'm on the border, but I made it. Actually, they both suck in their own unique ways.

On topic: is there any particular place that is better to purchase dampening materials? The stuff at PartsExpress seems expensive. Is their any "equivalent" that I can pick up at Home Depot for cheaper that will do 90% of what the real stuff does?

It depends on what you're doing, but in both cases WallyWorld rules. Use inch thick upholstery batting for panels large enough that you can access them and staple it in place. Where the interior is too irregular for lining and stuffing is required, or for TLs, use pillow stuffing. Housewares department.

There is one deficiency to NH: you can't get a good pizza. Small price to pay for a better quailty of life, and don't confuse anything south of Manchester with the real New Hampshire; that parcel is reserved for and inhabited by transplanted flatlanders.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.