Audio Technology Drivers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2004, 06:47 PM   #1
goskers is offline goskers  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Audio Technology Drivers

I have done some searching and don't seem to come up with a whole lot of people that have used Skaaning's AT drivers.

Can anyone who does have experience with these please comment on how they rate on the overall scale of being some of the best around.

I am looking at using a midrange driver which will be in a sealed enclosure. I have used seas excel drivers in the past but would like to know how these stack up in detail and imaging qualities.

Thanks for any comments that can be made,

goskers
Old 10th September 2004, 07:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You also found Lama's comment in this thread
ACCUTON (THIEL) or ETON
Old 10th September 2004, 08:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link,

I believe that I read this at one point in time but not while I was looking at the AT gear. I am looking at using the c-quence 15H as a mid because that is what Per Skaaning recommended to me. He thinks the cquence is better and cheaper for this mid application because of the new cone. I think I will take this to heart and run with it as you rarely see a manufactorer recommend a cheaper model.

Any comments regarding the AT for mid only apps?

Cheers
Old 10th September 2004, 08:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Maybe you could contact this guy, selling AT drivers: FS: Skanning (Audio Technology) Woofers
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 10th September 2004, 09:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I haven't heard it so far, so I can't comment on it, but the latest Sonus Faber uses a 15cm AT midrange driver.
I by myself use custom-built 8" AT woofers together with my Mangers. I am very happy with their sound and build-quality.

Regards

Charles
Old 11th September 2004, 10:04 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Here is a link with a loudspeaker being built with
CQuenze 15H520613SDK along with Scanspeak 26W8861T00, Scanspeak 18W8531G00, Morel Supreme 110:

http://www.gattiweb.com/delta_construction.html
Old 11th September 2004, 02:31 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I've to make some remarks:

The cquenze 15H is a fine driver, the sound is very dynamic, but sometimes it seems to sound less open then the 18H. Or to put it differently the 18H sounds more laid back less compressed then the 15H. The level of microdetail is the same, but it sounds more natural with the 18H.

I've contacted Per Skaaning about this, it seems that the sound signature of the 15H is due to the high acceleration factor (which is far higher then any other conventional cone drivers).

For ppl like me who are looking for a more 'airy' and more laid back sound you have to consider (according to Per) the 15J (I've to look up the exact designation of this driver) with a smaller magnet and therefore a lower BL and a lower Rms due to the smaller physical dimensions of the magnet system. It sound resembles more on the 18H.
Old 13th September 2004, 04:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the comments,

So, how does the AT c-quence line do when it comes to micro-detail retrieval?

Is it on par with some of the best mag/ceramic hard cones?
Old 13th September 2004, 04:56 PM   #9
tktran is offline tktran  Australia
Account Disabled

Troels Gravesen, http://home1.stofanet.dk/troels.gravesen/
went searching for a midrange driver for dipole operation from 300Hz-3Khz and along his journey tried a handful of drivers, including various 4", 5", 6/7". He tested the 18H52 1706 C-Quenze was bettered by the ScanSpeak 8545:

Quote:
In the latest round of driver testing, the AudioTechnology C-Quenze driver was for some time thought to be the final choice for the midrange. When I had to deliver these drivers back, I threw in some Scan Speak 18W/8545 drivers and much to my surprise, these drivers performed better than the Audio Technology drivers on a number of parameters.

To put it simply: these drivers appeared to have less distortion when played loud. The AudioTecnology C-Quenze18H52 drivers have some rather soft and flexible polypropylene cones where the 8545 drivers have the wellknown ugly paper-pulp carbon-fiber cones. A very rigid and heavily coated cone in this 8545 incarnation
In turn this was beaten by the Seas Excel W18EX:

Quote:
But being used to this magical "something" (possibly lack of distortion from the Seas W15 magnesium driver, it would be unfilling to stop here. The final Acapella should have all the qualities of the Point75A [which uses aforementioned W15] plus the capability of playing louder... Fig. 36. W18EX-001, I’ll come back to this magnificent driver. This is truly the best 6" driver I have ever had"
Troels later said, in another project that uses his 8545 sitting on the shelf...
Quote:
The 8545 was part of the drivers tested for the Acapella midrange - where it did a good job again - but was beaten by a small margin from the SEAS W18EX001 for this particular application.
Old 13th September 2004, 04:57 PM   #10
Taco is offline Taco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by goskers
Thanks for the comments,

So, how does the AT c-quence line do when it comes to micro-detail retrieval?

Is it on par with some of the best mag/ceramic hard cones?

The micro detail retrieval is not the same as mag/ceramic. But the presentation of the details is very fluid/natural. With magnesium/ ceramic the details are all there, but the sound of those details are in some cases not real. It is hard to explain, I don't have the "being there" feeling with mag/ceramic. But I am a Scan Speak/ Audiotechnology fan .

Hide this!Advertise here!