Audio Technology Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
KBK said:

edit: This damn google search engine is following me around, dammit! It seems my posts these days, when they are more than a few minutes old, are already picked up by the goggle spyder. That's the third time in a week that I've searched for something, only to find my own post!! The one I've just made!! I was looking on how to spell 'Ejvind', and my older post, not more than 3 hours old showed up. I've had them show up when they are 20 minutes old. either I'm being my usual paranoid self, or this is happening to everyone else as well.

Yes. The people involved in this forums all over the world are so good that the guys from the index search engines send them to the top, just to find it minutes later like CNN. What that means is, that individual/public science and research just pass way over the world of the hermeneutic/secret enterprise money-maker that is in China now obviously. (...and Stilling, Denmark...just for fun)

Do you make speaker drivers KBK, or just research work?

Well, here's my 2 cents worth... (Nothing like coming late to the party.)

I too, have looked for the "ultimate" midrange driver. One of my favorites is the Accuton C279/6 (old part #) now known as the C90-6-79. I also think very highly of the ScanSpeak 15W/8530K-00 (not really a dedicated mid but a woofer-mid).

I have the Praxis software along with a doubly calibrated ACO Pacific 7012 mike, a 4012 preamp, and PS9200 power supply. With this setup, I have done 3-tone distortion analysis as proposed by Linkwitz on the above drivers as well as others and the results are quite impressive. I acquired the 6.5" Accuton C173N-T6-90 mid and am currently performing some testing on it. I also purchased directly from Per Skaaning at AT some new drivers, specifically custom 5" C-Quenze mids and custom 8" bass drivers of the old frame type. Initial testing shows the mid to be a fine driver with distortion numbers not quite equaling the very best ScanSpeak drivers (but still very good), but the 8" looks like it is going to be right up with the best available anywhere. I must say that the build quality of these drivers is stunning...., so much so that you would want to put them in a glass enclosure so they could be viewed for the industrial art that they are. They are also relatively indestructable, which is another endearing trait.

I must admit that, tests aside, I am a big proponent of lower slope Xovers and I also put a lot of stock in the "sound" of a driver when fed with wideband information. The AT drivers are exemplary IMHO when I evaluate them in this way and they certainly lend themselves to lower slope Xovers.

agreed... these of all the drivers owned/tested are the best I have ever had

P1010201-1.jpg

P1010200-1.jpg

P1010199-1.jpg

and not to mention that Per is a great guy!!!

trusound said:

and not to mention that Per is a great guy!!!

I totally agree! He also is very modest about his products. It's a shame that people directly dismiss AT woofers, because of the price or the cone material (BTW you can now order paper sandwich cones for the large flex woofers).

I you are willing to pay for a hand build woofer you will get a great product.

Don't the Genelecs use the same cone material? If so, I wouldnt hesitate! If Genelec can pull it off, I think any company is capable of doing the same! I tried emailing Madisound trying to get a price quote, but they are no longer dealers for them. It seems AT has gone direct. I looked at their price sheets, and its a bit on the high side for my wallet at the moment :(

To all the midrange experts here...I would be really interested in any listening or test data on the AES 6.5" midrange.. John and Nick's Lambda line model TD65. This should be a wide bandwidth midrange with modest breakup artifacts that can use low order Xovers.

http://www.aespeakers.com/news.php?start=0&news_id=16

https://www.aespeakers.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1705&p=5272#p5272

Here is what we currently have for parameters:

Fs: 71hz
Qms: 6.7
Vas: 10.74L
Cms: .5mm/N
Mms: 10.01g
Rms: .67kg
Xmax: 3.5mm
Xmech: 7mm
Sd: 123sqcm
Qes: .24
Re: 5.9
Le: .081mH
Z: 8ohm
Bl: 10.4Tm
Pe: 100W
Qts: .235
1wspl: 94dB
2.83v: 95.3dB

Attachments

• td65-prototype-sm.jpg
    td65-prototype-sm.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 479
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.