3D cad drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some of us DIYers also have CAD skills and like to model our speakers in 3D before we build. I was thinking it would be good to get a list together of downloadable 3D CAD files of popular DIY drivers. Anyone interested?

I have a number of 3D cad drivers, most only showing the exterior accurately, although I do have a very accurate model of the AV12, which was measured from the actual driver with a pair of calipers. If you have any to share, please post images here and I will see if I can put together a link list on my site, and possibly set up one online location where they can all be downloaded.

Here's an image of my AV12 model. It is accurate to within a fraction of a mm:

Attachments

• stryke av12 measure.jpg
    stryke av12 measure.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 265
I think this is a great idea. I have a few crude exterior models of TC Sounds subs and some Vifa and Seas drivers, but these were just roughed-in to avoid interferences in cabinet design. The 2D dimensions provided on most spec sheets don't give enough information for me to consider any of them more useful than as I used them above.

I have a few of Stryke/AE upcoming drivers' basket structures modeled accurately from production drawings, but I'm not sure if I have permission to share these with the community.

The AV12 looks great. That basket is used on many speakers, which in itself would be nice to have access to.

Ideally yes but I don't think there will be enough for us to be that picky! Basically I'd be happy to put together a list and take what we can get. I work in autocad and don't have access to that format. Now possibly with some collaboration we can get them into a few different formats that will help. Mine are all using AutoCAD solid modelling, now suppose someone else had another format and could convert AutoCAD to another format ... but I imagine that most programs would be able to take AutoCAD format.

purplepeople said:
Unless you are need to render the finished speakers for sales brochures, I don't understand why you need so much detail on the driver models.

:)ensen.

Detail as such is not required. Accurate externals are when trying to fit speaker into a given area, and since I want the accuracy it is fun to go that fraction further so it looks cool too....:D

Cheers

rwagter said:
As promised

vifa and scan speak driver

can't seem to insert an attachment ?!

Those look pretty cool.

I think the idea is to get together a link list of models, and maybe find a location where they can all be stored if not practical for individuals. Some may be able to do conversions to other formats as well - I assume yours are 3D Studio Max ? (just going by the filename). I and others work in AutoCad, and there are plenty of other modelling programs around. I believe many of these programs can import or export AutoCad .dwg files, but some may not - may have to investigate the most common interchange format to use a defacto file type.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.