Quick crossover questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Couple of hypothetical questions,

If I have a 8 Ohm midrange, 88 dB (2.83V 1m) sensitivity and want to pair it to a 4 Ohm tweeter also with a 88 dB (2.83V 1m) , are they actually going to play at the same volume? I dont see why not but maybe I am missing something.

Also, lets say I have a tweeter with an 8 ohm nom. impedance, and want to cross it over at 4 kHz. The actual impedance from say 2kHz to 6kHz is 7 Ohms, should I use the 8 or 7 Ohm number in my crossover calculations.

Thanks in advance
Graham

Edit: Also, does anyone have any experience with the Hi Vi TN28?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
the 2.83V spec tells same SPL. Speakers are voltage controlled. Consumed power by them is a result, not the SPL governor.
The 4OHM unit is just going to use up twice the power than an 8 OHM one with same SPL sec @ 8 OHM. But its peanuts when talking tweeters. Plus after BSC correction you gonna need to pad it down so it will approach 8 OHM with the added resistance anyway.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.