Best way to learn about crossovers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2004, 11:47 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best way to learn about crossovers?

I know a lot about speaker drivers and enclosures but crossovers keep killing me! How would you suggest I learn everything there is to know about crossovers and designing them, starting from the beginning? I wish there was a Crossovers for Dummies book, but there isn't

I'm willing to purchase a book or software, whatever. If it's something I can read off the net, even better.

Thanks!
Old 9th September 2004, 02:16 AM   #2
Grahamt is offline Grahamt  Canada
diyAudio Member

I am in the same boat. The best resource I have found so far is the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook by Vance Dickason. It seems to skip over some stuff but it does have a lot of information.
Old 9th September 2004, 03:24 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Grahamt
I am in the same boat. The best resource I have found so far is the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook by Vance Dickason. It seems to skip over some stuff but it does have a lot of information.
Yeah that is a good read.

Or just check the audio section at the library, has some decent stuff. You can use www.amazon.com for book reviews.
Old 9th September 2004, 11:31 AM   #4
f4ier is offline f4ier  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
starting from the beginning? I wish there was a Crossovers for Dummies book
It's called a circuit analysis book -- titles from different authors are available from your local library Goodman's book of Circuit Theory & Techniques (Vol. 1 and 2) seems to be a good introductory book.
Old 9th September 2004, 06:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Although AC circuit theory is necessary for deeper crossover understanding, this document is the best I have ever read for basic practical crossover implementation:

http://www.pispeakers.com/Speaker_Crossover.doc

/M
Old 9th September 2004, 08:52 PM   #6
Kittle is offline Kittle  United States
diyAudio Member

My best friend on this has been the pispeakers site plus a breadboard and some various components to actually _test_ stuff out on.
Reading all about it is one thing.. but its a different matter when you can hook stuff up to a driver, apply signal generator and listen to stuff work (or not work).
Old 9th September 2004, 11:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Learn about capacitive and inductive reactance and everything else will fall into place.
Old 10th September 2004, 09:35 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I found 3 articles from Rod Elliot go quite a way to explaining how the bits all work together:
http://sound.westhost.com/beginners.htm - Beginners' Guide to Electronics - Part 1
http://sound.westhost.com/lr-passive.htm - Design of Passive Crossovers
http://sound.westhost.com/parallel-series.htm - Series vs. Parallel Crossover Networks

Vance Dickerson's book gives a pretty good start on parallel crossovers

There's some fairly good software to play with on the FRD Consortium page: http://www.pvconsultants.com/audio/frdgroup.htm

I also found a pretty good spreadsheet (called PXO.xls by Murray Hauschild) earlier this year - but I'm currently unable to locate it on the web. It gave a fairly good indication of what happens when using different topologies and when inserting series components or Zobels in the crossover.

Then again, buying a few components and a breadboard (and with a careful hand on the volume control) you can have quite a bit of fun - but I'd read a couple of articles first, as tweeters can be expensive.

Enjoy.

Hide this!Advertise here!