Changing spacing of drivers on adire bang

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can the woofers in the Adire bang be moved abit further apart to accommodate the tweeter closer to the centre and narrow the baffle. If I understand correctly The spacing of the woofer affects how high they can be crossed over and I think there is a risk of lobing if they are too far apart.

They will still be pretty tight, like the spacing in the adire kit281 for instance ( http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/AX-KIT281Review.pdf ), so I would guess that the crossover point is the only real concern.

Here are the plans for the Bang

http://www.adireaudio.com/TextPages/BangPageFrameText.htm

Looking at the roll off of the crossover in the review, I shouldn't think that the lobeing problem you anticipate should be much of an issue, however, a small apparent increase in the treble response might be encountered by moving it to the centre of the baffle. I thought it was generally good practice to place the drivers off centre to spread the baffle step effect (Frequencies with a wavelength less than the distance to the edge of the baffle are firing into full space rather than half space causing upto 6dB drop in sensitivity) but mainly in the midrange.
Are you using a different tweeter than the kit? If not I would follow the plans.
Don't take my comments as gospel as I'm no pro!

I wasn't thinking of moving it quite as far as the center. It would still be positioned on the baffle according to golden ration proportions but the baffle would be slightly more narrow.

Ah what the heck... It was pretty much only an aesthetic issue anyway. My intention was to narrow the baffle for a slimmer cabinet, but there not that bad size wise. I imagine that if there is any baffle step compensation I'd be screwing that up. Guess I'll take the prudent route and stick to the plans. I can always experiment once I have the original as a reference point.

That said, if anyone else has any thoughts on this I'd still like to hear them for educations sake.

Thanks

Oh Damn. No I dont. I just wanted an efficient cheap speaker to experiment with that didn't use a full range driver since I just did two of those and its hard to get much cheaper than the bang. Guess Ill do a D3 then. I was going to get to those dayton drivers sooner or later. Im really itching to try them in the TL Dave... forgot his last name...Brown maybe... designed.

Anyway, if anyone else is wondering about this driver placement thing, adire replied to my email on the subject as follows:

The woofers are kept as close together as possible to keep the dispersion even; moving them further apart will hurt the off-axis power response of the speaker, and is not recommended.

So there you have it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.