Monacor sph-135/AD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone trid/listened to this unit?
Wilmslow audio reccommends it as replacement for KEF B110.
As I liked sound of 110, I would like to make a speaker with this monacor if thy really sound alike.It would be a bookshelf 2way. I would also like to try them in my TQWP which has some other drivers,but this 135 gives good results in my simulations,and has the same cutout diameter.I'm also thinking of Sph-135C and sph-135TC.
I guess some German DIYers could be of some help.
Thanks in advance!

I use the SPH-135C, in wilmslow's Duet. The bass is very punchy and powerful and clean, no boom. It turned a few heads at the Dutch DIY audio day 2004. I've no idea what the original 110 sounds like, but have found the wilmslow guys pretty acurate and honest in their speaker sound predictions/comparisons. Power handling IS an advantage the SHP's have over the 110's.
good luck.

I made a sim for classic TL:
160 cm long
driver down 26cm
surface of the closed end of the pipe: 3Sd of driver (3x95cm)
surface of the open end 1.5 Sd

if you don't understand send me e-mail,maybe it will be easier if you write on slovenian/croatian.Maybe someone will have better ideas than me,also.

cheers,
tomac

First of all, I´ll post u which drivers I have (2 of them are Monacor´s other one is no name)

1.Monacor SPH 135/AD
LINK1
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

2.Monacor SPP-90
LINK2
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

3.No name GDT 1302
LINK3

I actually built THIS ,but bass sux :( .Its 10L box,but all simulations say that I need 20L for quite good response

Just one of my toughts(comment plz)
I was listening each driver seperately, then tweeters together & last all sistem.Tweeters actually dont do much,they just clear sound.SPP-90 doesnt have so clear sound, so it works in lower specter?GDT 1302 just beeps high freqs like hell(after few mins of listening my ears hurted :dodgy: ).All acceptable sound produces SPH 135 AD-voice,bass,...etc ...All what I wanna say here is that I dont understand why are tweeters so important(just beeping which causes headache)

I have the other driver, the SPH135C, the carbon weave one. The trebble is much more important than you suggest, it sharpens the leading edge on the upper bass giving the precussion much more punch and impact. It also makes the overall timing much more precise, just turn you're trebble right down and see how the upper bass looses definition...You can try that on any system.

When you get a reasonable tweeter, like the scanspeak D2905/9500 i use with my SPH, you can even get the trebble to have attack and punch on the leading edges.... Cymbals with attack and immediacy is a rare and pleasurable thing.

Ive made my bass reflex 23L netto boxes with 5x15cm pipe and there is no bass at all(its maybe like punching the wooden box with stick). Ive added no stuffing material and ive done test drive with PC 2x2W amplifier.Dont flame me about amp, because if it has 2w this doesnt mean that im not able to hear bass.

T-S parameters & data

1.Why there isnt bass at all?

thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.