Newbie with a question about speaker sensitivity

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, I'm very new to DIY audio, and I regestered here hoping I could get some help with future projects. I didn't know if this particular post is best suited for the Tube Amp forum or this one, so I hope I put it in the right place.

When my grandparents moved into a new apartment, they gave me their Polk Audio model 10 speakers since they were getting smaller ones. I've tried to find information on these, but I haven't had any luck. Can anyone tell me the sensitivity of these speakers?

I'm planning to build this:
http://www.angela.com/catalog/how-to/JE_Labs/PP_2A3/
as my first DIY audio project, and I've heard that 2A3/6A3 amps work best with sensitive speakers, since the output power is only a few watts. I'd like to know if it will work well with my Polk 10's, or if I should DIY myself some speakers too!

I'm sure as I learn more, this hobby is going to eat every last penny I have. :D

Thank you for any help!

going from memory (are these sort of large speaker too large for bookshelf to small for a stand so much so that Polk used to advertise them on a short stand) i think they were 90db/1w when placed against a back wall 87db/1W out in the room. many of plok's speakers we designed to be placed against the back wall. the 10 if i rememeber correctly had a 10" PR, 2 x 6" side by side and a 1" dome on a rectangular faceplate.

Thanks for your reply!

The speakers you explain are exactly what I have. I've been lurking around the forums for the past few days, and I'm trying to learn all about this hobby. Based on what I've seen, 90dB/w sounds decent.

Now I have another question. Would these speakers (in good condition with the stands) bring much if I were to sell them? I'm thinking I might like to try to get some cash from them in order to finance future DIY projects.

Already I have the urge to DIY some monsters with the 96dB/w coaxial driver mentioned in the "Lost in home audio" thread.

Thank you again!

I couldn't tell you how much you would get if you sold them... however I would recomend you find a speaker with higher effeciency for your new amp. 90Db is not bad, but with less than five watts I would look for something more in the 94Db or higher. You can certainly enjoy music on less sensitive speakers, but more effecient speakers would be better, more dynamic.
Joe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.