Does anyone know of a good paper tweeter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
badman said:
Fostex FF85k. Think scanspeak paper cone tweeter (sleeve through gap)

When we 1st started working on the FF85 we wondered at how we'd be able to ask what we'd have to ask for a modified one.

Then we got one fired up. We realized we had a 1st rate tweeter that went down to ~300 Hz. With the price of some of the available domes we realized that they'd actually be relatively cheap. The copper cap gives it an almost ruler flat impedance curve (above resonance) making passive XO fairly easy.

Its only downsides are that it is only 86 dB efficient -- Hoffman's iron law won't be denied -- and an on-axis rising top above 17k

dave

Interesting to see this thread bumped up again. Someone contacted me once about selling some paper cone tweeters a while ago. I think it may have been you ARRAY. If so, I'm sorry if i didn't reply. I haven't really had time to do all I want as far as DIY goes. But as I remember those tweeters looked nice enough, with alnico magnets I think.

The FF85K looks like a cute little fullrange/tweeter. I'm curious though, does the aluminum dome in the center give it a harsh sound? (as does every metal dome i've heard... sorry! - i haven't heard it all though). Perhaps in this configuration it's different. I have no experience with full range drivers.

I recently read a review of an Austrian WLM (I believe) speaker which featured a nice looking paper tweeter. Unusual to see in today's 'high end'.

Hey, no problemo if we did indeed talk way back when re: cone tweeter availability. DIY takes time and especially so if it's eleborate. After all, there's pride involved! Is posting to old threads bad forum etiquette? I'm not up on all the decorum in that regard. I decided to bump it - what the heck. In any case I thought it still a relevant thread in the world of hi-fi.
The Matsus are a nice tweeter and I'm glad I bought them. Instead of reposting tweeter testimonials I'll just link them for those who are interested. http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=3692

I'm not preferential to aluminum either, expecially when used through the midrange. A true woofer with aluminum cone can be excellent though (i.e. 3-way incorporated). Many musical instrument speakers use aluminum dustcaps to drive up the top end. I tested an Altec 421 one time and it was incredibly nasty at 900 in stock form. Fine for raunch and output but not so for hi-fi.

I've owned numerous Alnico/Magnavox paper cone whizzer 8" speakers and they would have to be the best speakers that I own, but they are consumer equipment so nobody pays attention to them.

But they need to be powered from a tube amp in-order to really sing as a full range. My digital amp doesn't do them justice.

Infact I've got a set of cheap Whizzers in my Sony speakers that are my main reference, they have a 40w max rating with a passive driver stapled to the front mdf.

dlF6v.jpg

It produces a nice soft tone that is easy and laid back to listen to with good bass and vocal response that isn't muddled at all, instead of the sterile and exact high frequency response that you'd get from a steel dome tweeter you get a soft but accurate/clear response that you could listen to for 10 hours straight with no strain at all.

With a steady rise on foobar 2000's equalizer from 3.5KHz and up they liven up quite nicely.

This would have to be lowest rung that you can go though, I paid nothing for these speakers or any of my other whizzer paper cone woofers and tweeters, then again I've heard better sound come out of a PA speaker compared to most home audio systems so its not hard to slay the mainstream consumer speakers.

I would go with a 12" driver + whizzer cone though if I were to build my own set today.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.