Was building Phoenix ... Now maybe Orion? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2004, 02:48 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

Sorry Paul,

My – too brief - question (to Steve Dodds) was about the acclaimed but cheap Panasonic digital amps XR25, XR70, etc, that I believe he uses on his Phoenix inspired active speakers.
Old 13th November 2004, 05:03 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

Rick,

I should note that I am not a huge believer in there being major differences between amps. So that being said, I replaced a very good, very big solid state amp with a Panasonic and have no problems with any aspect of its performance, whether in the bass or treble.

Cheers

Steve
Old 13th November 2004, 06:56 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

Steve, I have tended to agree with you about amps, but I'm moving away from that a little. After recently comparing a decent diy gainclone and a very nice rotel power amp, I have to say there is more in high end amps than I was inclined to think in the past. This is one of the issues you face with Orion and similar speakers. Chip amps are very tempting, but they are in my view less refined than a good Rotel. Still, I think you can make a great diy amp for slightly more than the cost of a chip amp and match the Rotel or better it.
Old 13th November 2004, 08:40 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

My drivers arrived today, whoopee.

Now I have to decide on a crossover. Adapting Linkwitz's passive design for 4ohm drivers has proven harder than I thought, because of the notch filter (or whatever it is - some kind of bass boost?). Also, he seems to have the two 8ohm P21s connected in series - isn't that a little unusual?

I'm tempted to just go active, but I'm finding it hard to justify the cost. I don't suppose anyone here knows of an active crossover or Tripath amp for sale 2nd hand?

Thanks,
//Adam F
Old 13th November 2004, 08:46 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

Adam, the tricky part with active is not the crossover but all the filters that you add, at least if you want to do Phoenix or Orion, or something that attempts to get close to their performance. Making an active crossover that merely divides up the signal to the drivers is not that hard. Jaycar even have a 3 way active xo kit with all the parts that you could probably get ridiculously cheap!
Old 13th November 2004, 09:13 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

I understand Paul, and that would be nice but:

a) I haven't put iron to solder since 1996, and then it was to build a simple FM transmitter, which didn't work...and (b) equalisers are cheap and seem to do substantially similar work to these complicated bandpass filters.

I was reading about the DCX2496 (as used by sfdoddsy) in an old Audio Xpress at work yesterday - what an amazing piece of machinery. You can hook it up to your PC and play with the xover points/slopes etc, then compensate for room your room, add notch filters etc - all in software. Then I'd be in familiar territory.

The only small problem is that if i bought one, I wouldn't be able to afford amplification. There's always a catch

//Adam F
Old 15th November 2004, 01:14 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

Ultradrive is great and I'd like to have a play with it as well but at AU $900 it would eclipse the cost of your drivers! Still, you could always upgrade the drivers later on and you could probably get hold of a cheap low power amp for the tweeter - you could get away with 10 - 20w. You could get one of those cheap amp modules until you can afford better.

Hide this!Advertise here!