Was building Phoenix ... Now maybe Orion? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2004, 05:31 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

OK - I ordered my Orion documentation & the Test CD today. I guess I'll figure out my amp situation somehow.

I'm thinking of buying two XR25 amps for about $500, but I'm not sure that the amp's characteristics are full-range for all 6 channels.

sfdoddsy - I am assuming that you are using the 6 DVD inputs for the 6 channels of amplification, right? Are all the channels of the XR25 20 Hz => 20 kHz @ 100 W?
Old 11th September 2004, 06:16 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

You can only use 5 of the Panasonic's channels in your application. The rear-center amp doesn't have an input and the sub input is just a passthrough to the sub output. About the power, 100 watts is optimistic, no doubt chosen as a 'magic number' for marketing reaons. It has a high distortion spec at 100 watts so figure on 70 watts or so of good clean power.
Old 12th September 2004, 01:31 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Yep, for your purposes it is a 5 x 100 amp. There is more info on using the Panasonic and other digital amps at www.newformresearch.com.

Cheers

Steve
Old 12th September 2004, 02:50 AM   #24
tktran is offline tktran  Australia
Account Disabled

any ideas where to get an XR45 (or replacement model XR70) here in Oz Steve?

I went to the Panasonic AU website and they only list the XR30 and XR50.

thanks,
Thanh.
Old 12th September 2004, 10:44 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

From the sounds of them, the XR30 is the new XR25 and the XR50 the new XR45. As to which would be better, its hard to say. Since you will be only using the 5.1 inputs the preamp section is unimportant, so I'd probably just get the cheapest.

I bought mine in the US.

Cheers

Steve
Old 12th September 2004, 01:33 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Newform Research says:

"The XR45 is a typical low end 6 channel receiver with one important difference. It has the first commercial implementation of the Texas Instruments Equibit digital amplifier chipset. Its specifications are very poor but the sound belongs on the top shelf of high end amplifiers."

Hmmm ... It sounds kind of contradictory.

I saw how I would need to turn the subwoofer off and front speakers to "large" in order to get a full-range output on 5 channels.

Some questions:

1) Are these amps "stackable"? I would like to put one on top of the other if I could - or my Rotel amp on top of the two for space saving.

2) Does this amp "play nice" when driven hard? Will it shut down an over-driven channel, or distort heavily? Can all 5 channels be driven continuously at 100W indefinitely?

3) The specs I saw said that the XR25 recommended speaker load is 6 ohms minimum => 8 ohms maximum. Will the Orion be OK in this range?

4) I guess that now I would drive the front two Orions with the X25s - one X25 per Orion. The surrounds would be be run by the Rotel 6x60 amp, or I could just buy a third X25 for channel matching. Recommendations?

Thanks again for all the input, everybody!
Old 13th September 2004, 10:56 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

If you really want to know everything about the Pannie receivers your wish has come true:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...highlight=xr45

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...highlight=xr45

Best of luck reading through it

The reason for the Newform comment is that, as a digital amp, the Pannie measures differently to normal solid state amps, especially in distortion. Not worse like tube amps, just differently. The threads will explain why.

If you really wanted to you could run them flat out, but through Orions that would be insanely loud and likely to damage the drivers or your ears. The only areas Orions need a beefy amp is in the bass, and luckily this is the srea digital amps really shine. Unlike solid states amps, damping factor is not a problem with digitals.

As for the impedance, it depends how you wire the speakers. If you parallel the woofers (including the dual voice coils), then you will get a very low impedance, but if you wire them the way SL recommends then you will have no problems.

Steve
Old 13th September 2004, 11:35 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

I did a (relatively) quick search in the threads Steve mentioned. Whew!

I couldn't find whether the XR25 is stackable or not. Are they?

I'll probably buy 3 XR25's - I'd like to put them where my ML-9 is sitting right now if I can stack them.
Old 13th September 2004, 11:22 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Since they are digital, they run very cool. I have mine stacked without any problems.

Steve
Old 13th September 2004, 11:37 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

OK!

Everyone here has been very helpful - My system design plans have been significantly modified based upon your input.

So, I'm going to get committed now ...

I'll be purchasing 3 XR25s tonight, and a set of Orion drivers tomorrow from Madisound. If they won't give me the 10% discount price later for the surrounds, I may take the plunge and get the all drivers at once.

The Orion design specs have been ordered, and should arrive shortly. I'll put in my order for the crossover parts in the next day or two.

For wood choices, I don't know what I'm doing yet.

One thing I still need to figure out is how I'll power and encase the 5 Orion crossover boards in one enclosure (hopefully). Anyone have ideas?

Hide this!Advertise here!