i need some help with amps... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2002, 04:15 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question i need some help with amps...

I am looking to buy 8 nice high wattage (@ 8ohms) HiFi mono amps...
I plan to be using the for my HT and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on manufacturer I can't spend over $1,250 per unit and I was wondering what I could get...

Thanks,
Slice
Old 14th June 2002, 06:52 AM   #2
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Slice:
I am looking to buy 8 nice high wattage (@ 8ohms) HiFi mono amps... I can't spend over $1,250 per unit

Just to make things clear: if I read you correctly you are planning on spending $10,000 total to get 8 amps. Correct?
Old 14th June 2002, 07:26 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default that is correct...

Yes you are right...
I am looking to get some heavy-duty amps...
I tent to like THX certified stuff but if it isn't thatís ok too...

Thanks,
Slice
Old 14th June 2002, 03:50 PM   #4
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

That's a little out of my price range experience. I just wanted to clarify what you were asking for. But I am sure there are members here who can recommend something in that price range.

Good luck!
Old 14th June 2002, 04:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Try Bryston.
20 years warranty.
indestructible.
Old 14th June 2002, 06:37 PM   #6
UrSv is offline UrSv  Sweden
diyAudio Member

NAD 218THX works just fine. 700W@8Ohm bridged is not a lot but they are rather good ones.

/UrSv
Old 14th June 2002, 08:45 PM   #7
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Default Bryston

i can say
BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BBRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON RYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON BRYSTON

get them there awsom i have never seen one com into a reapir shop NEVER there awsome verry reliable too i once seen about 15 of them in a rack mount for home stereo and it was nice.. it looked better than stars in the sky at night all them pritty glowing lights AHHHHH druel..

Jason
Old 14th June 2002, 09:49 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to baby_huey0
I will third the bryston recommendation. They are wonderful amps that wil last for even. The power they put out is awsome too, add the 20 year warrenty and your set. Try www.audiogon.com and look for some used amps. You can usually get some great deals, with all kinds of warrenty left.
Old 14th June 2002, 10:12 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Slice, with that budget you can definitly afford Brystons. Even in their multi-channel amps, every channel is a completely separate (except the power cord) mono-bloc.

They have some nice 3, 4, and 5 channel amps, plate amps, and stereo amps (these usually bridgable into mono). For your needs i'd suggest 4 - 4Bs. (i lust after a pr of 4Bs to drive my woofers -- no way i can afford them thou).

They are a favorite of many, many of the mixing studios where THX movies are mixed.

They are rugged. I used 4 - 4Bs & 2 3Bs in my PA for years. Did i say they were rugged. They come with a 20 year waranty because they mostly don't need it. In the one case i had to replace a module, i had it in 24 hrs and it took less then 30 min to put in.

And they sound good. Really good. The old ones don't sound as good as the new STs which have a Stereopile Class A rating -- and in this case i have to agree with them.

I have met Chris & Steve Russell personally (we were an early Bryston hifi dealer when i worked hifi) and they are stand-up guys.

Go to Bryston's website and read all the newsletters.

dave
Old 15th June 2002, 12:21 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Nothing against bryston I'm just piping to suggest an alternative. At least for subs you should check out a Crown K2. You should be able to find one for a little less than your $1250 limit and it'll drive pretty much any sub you can throw at it.

Hide this!Advertise here!