Which Cabinet calculator? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th September 2004, 09:51 AM   #1
polsol is offline polsol  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Which Cabinet calculator?

Anyone any suggestions as to an optimum "calculator" (software) for determining cabinet dimensions for drive units?
If non of the freeware programs are ideally suitable then I could (he said sticking his neck out) write a Windows program provided I can find contributors to provide the math (algorithms) if there is sufficient interest in the project. The progam would be freeware and maybe a useful tool for the forum? My contribution as repayment for the assistance I find in this site.
Suggestions welcomed.

Regards
Old 4th September 2004, 11:08 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I know of 3 already available on the web, although I haven't used any of them yet: John Rutter's for TQWP's, Thorsten Loesch's for open baffles, and Martin King's for Mass Loaded Transmission Lines.

I don't know how accurate any one of these are, but I will soon be looking closely at using them for my first speaker project.

Martin King's seems most likely to be accurate, based as it is on actual experience and experimentation. The other two I know very little about...
Old 4th September 2004, 08:40 PM   #3
jemraid is offline jemraid  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I would like to have a simple spreadsheet type of thing, somewhere between John Rutter's which sady was incorrect and Martin Kings which I find impenetratable.

For both TQWT's and P's and MLTL's

Regards - Jem
Old 4th September 2004, 08:57 PM   #4
Nisbeth is offline Nisbeth  Denmark
diyAudio Member

UniBox

/U.
Old 5th September 2004, 03:47 PM   #5
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

There are a few decent programs out there already, but I prefer my own spreadsheet (which I won't give away) which uses the same sort of model as Unibox. Having written my own, I offer the following opinions on the popular ones out there for the benefit of anyone who wishes to roll their own.

As an Excel spreadsheet, Unibox works well, although it is becoming less user friendly as time wears on and more features are added, IMO. There is just too much stuff on that one page. I see questions on many forums all the time that are due to misuse because people don't understand the user interface. It could be made much better with some user forms for parameter and design entry.

Subsim, a standalone program (no other software needed) for those who do not have Excel. It has a few issues with repainting, but does everything you need. Its user interface is a little strange, and parameter entry is especially odd, IMO. It would be a lot easier to use if some of these quirks were worked out.

WinISD pro is OK, but there is a long tradition of unfixed bugs in this program and its predecessor. Last I checked, the values it gave for excursion and group delay were wrong.

The regular (not pro) version of WinISD uses a simple model and has too many bugs to be useful, IMO.. I wouldn't trust it for anything but the simulated SPL response at 1 watt. The Max SPL and group delay plots, as well as the "vent mach" figure are oversimplified and incorrect, IMO

If you want to roll your own software, go to http://www.diysubwoofers.org
There you willl find many equations, albeit for a simpler model than the ones used in the simulators above, and even a spreadsheet that may teach you a lot about how these simulators work.

The difference in results between the simple and more complex models is not usually significant unless there is a lot of damping material used. The simple models (when implemented correctly) are good enough most of the time.
Old 6th September 2004, 08:46 AM   #6
polsol is offline polsol  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Thanks to all respondents.

Have tried now Unibox and it seems impressive but concur with Ron E that there is a lot on one spreadsheet and I wonder if I am getting things correct when I start entering information. A quick tutorial on how to use it would be nice. Every driver I have entered thus far (3" to 6" full range) comes back with a recomendation for use in a TL or horn system ....
Have also had a look at some of the other alternatives but they are somewhat "messy" and not intuitive IMO.

Regards,

Hide this!Advertise here!