Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2004, 06:58 AM   #1
nrgy is offline nrgy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Mini Monitor using Vifa drivers...

I am looking at building a mini monitor, apprx 4" W x 6" H. The components I am considering are the Vifa D26NC-55-06, and the TC08SD49-08 3-1/2". Several months ago I bought the Vifa D27 and P13 drivers for a bookshelf speaker, but am scrapping the idea for something a little more compact.

First off, I am new to the hobby, the D27/P13 would have been my first project. My question is, can I allow the 3-1/2" driver run full range, or will I need to run a XO in this setup?

What type of configuration would you recommend, or basically how would one suggest I approach this? Sorry to be so vague.
Old 3rd September 2004, 07:53 AM   #2
dvdwmth is offline dvdwmth  Canada
diyAudio Member

why dont you build johns tangband project if you need somthing that small. the tangband driver is nice. I just built it, as have many others here. Its a good beginner project and it sounds good
Old 3rd September 2004, 03:56 PM   #3
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Mini Monitor using Vifa drivers...

Quote:
Originally posted by nrgy
My question is, can I allow the 3-1/2" driver run full range, or will I need to run a XO in this setup?.......or basically how would one suggest I approach this?
I would not use it without an XO. In the Vifa line, their MG10SD-09-08 can be used fullrange as long as you don't listen too far off axis, and on paper and the few reviews I've read should compare favorably with the TBs, but I haven't auditioned them so YMMV.

GM
Old 3rd September 2004, 05:17 PM   #4
dvdwmth is offline dvdwmth  Canada
diyAudio Member

the risk you take in trying to design your own without experience or equipment is after spending time and money if you dont get the results you were hoping for you may end up quite discouraged. This advice has been given many times on this forum.

I recently went through the process of trying to decide on a good project to start with knowing nothing beforehand about any of this and I am very happy that I was steered toward a simple full range project to start. for a very small outlay on wood and drivers of around $50-60can per project I have built a couple of fullrangers using both the radio shack rs 1197 for one and the tangband w3-871s on the other. I was extremely happy with both projects and they have encouraged me to go on. But I definately do not feel ready to tackle designing my own yet.
If you have been reading the forums you probably know that the tangband driver should not be underestimated.

Good luck
Old 3rd September 2004, 05:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
My project:

http://www.geocities.com/vincetronic/cntrchspkr.html
Old 4th September 2004, 11:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to coolkhoa Send a message via MSN to coolkhoa Send a message via Yahoo to coolkhoa
Go to adireaudio.com, click on "DIY Audio" and then "AV3". There's a suggested project using the Adire AV3 3" as full-range with external dimensions of 4"W x 6"H x 5" D, as small as you need it. Being an Acoustim**** killer, no XO is needed!

Hide this!Advertise here!