'New Advent' surround replacement, anyone done it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a 25 year old pair of "New Advent" speakers. While I've read horror stories about the surrounds disintegrating, I thought "strange, I've never had that problem..."

Until earlier tonight, when I've had Time (Pink Floyd) playing. With the first note played after the clocks go off, I heard that wonderful sounding "what kind of instrument creates that?" deep note from my right speaker, but a complete lack of bass combined with a rattle from the left. Wuh-oh.

I spotted a crack in the left speaker surround. I put my finger against it, and I realized that the surround is like rice paper - it fell apart under the pressure of my finger.

:bawling:

Anyway, has anyone ever done a surround replacement on these speakers? Should I attempt it, should I try to track down some new drivers, or what?

Replacing the surround isn't really that difficult. You can order surrouind replacement kits from many of the online speaker houses, or you can have it done for you. If you are unfamiliar with the inner workings of drivers and have never done this before, you might want to have someone replace the surround for you. I only say this because it is very easy to misalign the voice coil in the magnetic gap causing further damage to your voice coil. As for shops in Canada that can do this for you, I have no idea. Here in the states we have Orange County Speaker, Tri-State, etc.... You might be able to e-mail Orange County Speaker and see if they can recommend someone in your area. I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Zach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.