Small 2 way with w3-871s....midbass?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm planning on building a small 2 way using the w3-871s as the tweet and mid. I'm looking for a good and cheap driver to handle the freq. 200Hz and below. I want the driver to work in a small box so that the overall cabinet volume is under .5 ft^3.
I've looked at the TB 6.5" sub w/ 11mm xmax but the sens. is 83db and it needs a PR. I think the TB w5-876sa 5" sub which only needs a .13ft^3 box and will play down to 60hz is a good prospect. What drivers do you suggest?

I appreciate the help,
Nate

If you are going to use 6.5" midbass drivers then why not just do a pair of them with tweeters? If I were to use the 871 I'd use it in small satellites with an 8" sub hidden away a bit more. You can design a small satellite vented in such a way as to optimise power handling and get it low enough to cross to a sub that isn't right next to it. There is a good article on this at Elliott Sound Products.

I know it can be annoying when people say "why don't you just do ..." instead of helping you with what you want, so I might perhaps ask why you would like to go this way ...

I want to use drivers smaller than 6.5". They will just play lower than the w3-871s like the newer elf so that a lower crossover can be had with the sub~60Hz. These speakers will be small enough to be sat. If I raise the xover freq on the w3-871s to 200Hz, I will gain more power handling. The w5-876sa only needs a .13ft^3 to play down to 60hz. Does this design sound good?

I also want the option to not use a sub all the time and still have some low end.

Timn8ter said:
Perhaps you mean W4-654S

Yes of course.

They are nice little drivers for bass(300HZ and lower in my system switchable to fullrange) I have a two-way system (sometimes 3-way) with 871 either being mid or midhigh and a TB tweeter being switchable in as a tweeter.

Tmn8ter love your site and your projects. Very interested in your 6x871 with MLTL below. Describe the sound and are you sharing the lower cabinet details?

Thanks. The bipole W5 woofer inside a folded TQWT delivers nice accurate bass. The 6 driver array is problematic and is still being worked on, however, it delivers the high SPL I'm looking for in HT. There are imaging problems when listening to music. I'm about to start on a variation using a W6 woofer with a single W3 which I hope to be more successful. You're welcome to e-mail me for the cab dimensions if you like. There's a link on my website.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.