Wesnor's Ella's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
nOOSE

i needed speakers for a fairly large living room (6m x 9m) which opens out into the kitchen. i built 2 way floorstanders but in retrospect i should have built even larger 3 ways (50+ litre cabinets) for cosmetics and of course increased power handling and outright SPLs.

I also want speakers for a small bedroom. That's probably my next project, perhaps the Tony Gee's Hatt Mk3 or other compact mini-monitor.

My experience with speakers the size of Ella is that they're very suited to moderate sized (~4x6m) rooms. From the ingredients recipe I think the Ella would be fantastic. Also the sealed box design would make subwoofer integration nice so a 5.1 Ella setup would make a extremely good HT system...:smash:

n00se -

Since the 8545Ks are discontinued...

For that type of setup and that price range, you may want to take a look at Dennis Murphy's designs at www.MurphyBlaster.com. Particularily, look at the UtopiaOW1s and the Usher 2-ways, I think you will be very satisfied with either. The Ushers are essentially Scan Speak copies, but are reported to be very well made, and share most of the nice traits of the Scans. Dennis's designs are widely believed to be some of the best available. For high-quality sound, you might also check out the SA-1 kit at Selah Audio but that may break the budget. Check out some of the kits at North Creek Music as well. Downside to both of these options is that they are US based, so shipping and taxes may be unacceptable.

Just my :2c:

i just connected the lowpass crossover network to the 8545k and there is no sound....:( there is sound if i switch the wires and place them in places they aren't meant to be :S but if they are placed where they are meant to be it doesn't work!

what am i doing wrong!

i followed his TurboCAD diagram to a T. And when i do have the sound working it sounds aweful.! It sounds like really cheap car speakers that are worth 5 bucks, not the 300 i paid for.

Why isn't my crossover network working and why am so dissapointed with the sound. did i expect too much?

nOOSE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.