Speaker Selection? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2002, 03:53 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the huge amount of responses by everyone.I dont think I will be making a Sub Woofer in the future, and I will only be using a .25 cu ft enclosure if i order one off the net because the bigger ones r too expensive.

I WANT to build and cut my own cabinet because it will be cheeper, but how do you cut such perfect holes, and even more so, how do you cut them so the speakers can be flush mounted.

I dont have fancy tools, just the basics(drill etc).

I was thinking of buying the speakers and then going to Bunnings and telling them what sizes I need, and then getting THEM to cut the cabinets and also cut the holes for the speakers, could i do this.

Jeroth
Old 13th June 2002, 04:48 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Default OK!

Thanks to the links that GlennME posted up 4 me, I have found a design that I would like to try out.It uses the exact speakers that I have decided on(The Vifa's)and also explains in detail how to do EVERYTHING.It also offers different construction tips so you can customize the look to the way u want it.They said that this has got an extremely good frequency response, and is also good quality.Well here is the link 4 u to go and have a look.If you can, read the whole thing and tell me what you think.
I personally think it is perfect for me, seeing as though this is my first project.

Jeroth
Old 13th June 2002, 10:53 PM   #33
griff is offline griff  Australia
diyAudio Member

You can't really go wrong with a kit, Good Luck, if you need any construction advice then give us a yell.
Old 14th June 2002, 02:50 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

So what do u think of getting the pieces and holes cut at bunnings in the cut shop.
Old 14th June 2002, 03:02 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeroth
So what do u think of getting the pieces and holes cut at bunnings in the cut shop.
I don't think Bunnings is set up for cutting holes. They'll probably cut the sheet of MDF for you, but you'll have to cut the holes yourself. There's bound to be someone you know, or a neighbour in your street, who has a Jigsaw. See if you can borrow one for a couple of hours.
Old 14th June 2002, 03:27 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

But then how do I get a perfect hole and also how do a flush mount the speakers.
Old 14th June 2002, 03:32 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeroth
But then how do I get a perfect hole and also how do a flush mount the speakers.
It'd be no problem for anyone with a router. Routers easily cut and recess holes. Better find someone with a router, or perhaps a carpenter or cabinet maker would do the work for you for a small fee.
Old 14th June 2002, 03:57 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

How much does a 2nd hand router cost and is it possible to hire one.
Old 14th June 2002, 04:13 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Default Tweeter?

I have chosen
this project and people suggesed earlier that i shouldnt get tweeters with a alluminium dome because they can be a bit harsh, I have decided to do this and have found a replacement by Vifa that has the EXACT same specs excpet that the new one i have chosen has a slightly lower FS which would be better, and the old one can go up to 3500hz and the new one up to 30000hz.Here are the details:

Previous Decision:
VIFA D25ASG-05 1" SHIELDED ALUMINUM DOME TWEETER

New Decision:
VIFA D26SG-05 1" SHIELDED TEXTILE DOME TWEETER

Do u think this is a good replacement?

Jeroth
Old 14th June 2002, 06:27 AM   #40
griff is offline griff  Australia
diyAudio Member

thats a fine choice, keep in mind that some sort of crossover change may be necessary

Hide this!Advertise here!