Speaker Selection? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2002, 07:21 AM   #21
griff is offline griff  Australia
diyAudio Member

If you are prepared to save a little more, maybe you should look at my latest project, it uses a SEAS H624 and a SEAS H831. Drivers will cost around $250, only requires a really simple cross over and the ideal bass reflex cabinet is about 15litres. If you would like some more info then just let me know.
Old 13th June 2002, 08:09 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up OK

So how much lower should the FS be on the Tweeter, and when AudioFreak said that the Tweeter should be the same as the amps output, does that mean I need a 120W Tweeter.As you can see I am having a bit of trouble making sense of this whole thing.I would really appreciate a link or email with more info on your latest project griff, and what does that $250 get me.So do your responses mean that the Vifa Woofer will be fine.I would also appreciate it if someone could post up the specs for the Woofer & Tweeter that they would use for this amp.

Jeroth
Old 13th June 2002, 08:40 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Its all very confusing when you start, but it comes together eventually.

Heres a link to the SEAS H624 woofer and the SEAS H831 tweeter.

I must pre warn you about this combo, it does lack the low end, and i wouldn't recommend it for heavy/ alt metal, something that has a large slap bass, really needs to be coupled with a Shiva.

The H624 you can get for about $90 and the tweeter is around $45.

The highlight of this system is the tweeter, its incredible for the money.
Old 13th June 2002, 08:45 AM   #24
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

What I meant is that many manufactures rate their tweeters for system power and not actual input power. Personally I dont like this as they usually use white / pink noise to do the rating and music often varies from this far too much but i suppose it's a decent generalized standard. When looking at tweeters, if the power rating says system power, you should use one of about 120W, if it says input power 25W should be fine
Old 13th June 2002, 09:42 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for the links griff.
I just think that these are just a bit too expensive for me, because I still need to get all the other stuff like crossovers and all the other things recquired.
The other thing is that I listen to ALL types of music, most of it is Rock, Alternative, Rap, Dance and Soul,but I also listen to ALL the other types.I dont have any METAL type music like slipknot etc because its 2 heavy 4 my liking.

I dont want to have the strongest possible base, I am looking for a very CLEAR sounding system(i dont want the room shaking, just a clear bass sound).Do you know what i mean?!?

SO, in your opinion, would the Vifa Woofer that I mentioned previously do a good job for this type of setup, or not.
I know that I need to get a Tweeter without the metal cap thing and a lower FS, but how much of a lower FS.
Please Help Me Out Guys!!!

Jeroth
Old 13th June 2002, 10:55 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

The H831 has a Fs of 1200 and the model above, the H881, has a chamber on the back to bring the Fs down to around 900. This suggests crossing over at around 1500-2000Hz. The link can be found Here

The Vifa is an option, although if you matched it with one of the SEAS tweeters above, then you would need to add an L-pad to bring down the sensitivity a little.

By 'clear bass sound', I get the impression that it should be flat to around say 50Hz, and a bass reflex is definately the best choice. With the Vifa, you will get a F3 of around 44Hz, in a 21.9 litre enclosure tuned to 42.8Hz, this means a port length of 108mm with a diameter of 50mm. That would be more then adequate i feel. Do you at any time in the near future intend on building a subwoofer?
Old 13th June 2002, 02:04 PM   #28
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

A major constraint on this project that has so far been overlooked is going to be the fact that Jeroth has stipulated a 0.25 cu ft. enclosure or there about ... this is only about 7.1L
Old 13th June 2002, 02:12 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AudioFreak
A major constraint on this project that has so far been overlooked is going to be the fact that Jeroth has stipulated a 0.25 cu ft. enclosure or there about ... this is only about 7.1L
WinISD suggests an 11.3 litre box (.399 cu ft) for a sealed system, so .25 cu ft may not be ideal.
Old 13th June 2002, 02:27 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

looks like he'll have to live with a bigger box or we find him another driver.

Hide this!Advertise here!