Speaker Selection? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2002, 04:17 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Cool Tweeters

When i said AUD$200 for the speakers i meant for the tweeters also.And do u think you could post the URL's for any of those oz sites.Thanks!

Jeroth
Old 12th June 2002, 04:22 PM   #12
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Ok just a little clarification, when you said AUD$200 for the speakers, i assumed that included the drivers, crossovers, enclosures etc ... in short the whole thing.... if this is not the case please let me know. I dont have the links with me right now but once we decide on particular drivers, i can chase up the relavant links for you.
Old 12th June 2002, 04:37 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up OK!

Here is the precise info:
I currently have AUD$200.00 in my account.I was planning on using this to purchase a pair of Woofers AND a pair of tweeters.
Then, start saving more money up and buy the rest of the things like cabinets etc in about a month.
If u think I would be able to get more than just the Woofers and Tweeters for this amount, PLEASE tell me.
Remember that I dont want the best system in the world, just reasonable quality speakers for my room.

Jeroth
Old 12th June 2002, 07:27 PM   #14
Won is offline Won
diyAudio Member

Well, this guy is in New York so it may be a problem, but I've had good experiences with http://www.zalytron.com

Under the budget speaker section, he has two kits that you might be interested in: the JML 5"TM ($99USD) and the German 2-Way ($110USD). The kits come with speaker drivers, crossover components and binding posts. Cabinets cost more, but you could save alot of money by building your own, particularly because of shipping cost, but I suppose you were planning on doing that anyway.

-Won

PS Welcome to the club
Old 12th June 2002, 09:07 PM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

1st on the power thing. Except possibly in the Pro world, power handling of a speaker is not a very useful parameter. You are more likely to break a speaker if you have too little power then too much -- clipping, particularily with SS, is the enemy. Since music tends to be quite dynamic if you keep the peaks below clipping, then the average power levels will be quite low. If we assume that peaks are 20 dB above the average, and you are pushing the amp to its limit, but not clipping then the average power would be about 6 W. You do have to keep in mind that the rated power is into an 8 ohm resistor and into a real loudspeaker it is likely the amp won't be able to deliver quite as much power.

Generally (it varies quite a bit by type of music) the point at which there is a 50/50 power distrubution is at 300 Hz.

With a 2-way what is most commonly seen are systems with a 5 or 6" midbass and a dome tweeter with a cross-over between 2.5 and 5kHz. On these systems the woofer needs to handle the most power, but the tweeter is more likely to burn up if you run the amp into clipping.

Andy G is in Oz and has built a number of speakers from parts available there. He is also very helpful.

dave
Old 13th June 2002, 02:47 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default ?

What is clipping!?!
Old 13th June 2002, 02:56 AM   #17
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

Clipping... http://sound.westhost.com/amp-sound.htm a little ways down has a few paragraphs on "Clipping Distortion", that will explain it better then I can in a post...
Old 13th June 2002, 06:21 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Question How Do These Look?

I Have been looking on the net and have narrowed a selection down, and have decided on Woofers & Tweeters.If these are the wrong things to get please tell me why(Wattage, Frequency Response etc).Remember that I have a 2 channel amp, with 120W RMS per/ch.Here is what I have chosen so far:

Woofer:
VIFA P17WJ-00 6-1/2" 8 ohms
Power handling: 70WRMS/100Wmax
Frequency response: 37-5,000 Hz
Fs: 37 Hz
SPL: 88 dB 1W/1m

Tweeter:
1" ALUMINUM DOME TWEETER 8 ohms
Power handling: 70WRMS/100Wmax
Frequency range: 2,500-20,000 Hz
Fs: 1,530 Hz
SPL: 92 dB 2.83V/1m

Thats what i thought will be fine but if anyone thinks otherwise, please post what should be different, things such as Wattage, Frequency Response etc.If you think this will work with my amp please tell me.

Jeroth
Old 13th June 2002, 07:48 AM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: How Do These Look?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeroth
1" ALUMINUM DOME TWEETER 8 ohms

Frequency range: 2,500-20,000 Hz
Fs: 1,530 Hz
You might want to look for something with a bit lower Fs. It would give you a little more versatility when you go to build the XO. And look at the silk/cloth dome tweeters, they are a little more forgiving. You don't want to scrimp on the tweeter.

dave
Old 13th June 2002, 08:18 AM   #20
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Yes I agree spend more time looking for a tweeter.... I dont much like metal dome tweeters as they are often harsh and just a word of warning, tweeters are often rated for system power (ie. amp output power) not for their own input power make sure whatever tweeter you choose is capable of what you want in this respect. Low Fs helps by taking some of the strain off the woofer (woofers dont do a great job of producing treble) and also allows for a more simple crossover.

Hide this!Advertise here!