Speaker Selection?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you are prepared to save a little more, maybe you should look at my latest project, it uses a SEAS H624 and a SEAS H831. Drivers will cost around $250, only requires a really simple cross over and the ideal bass reflex cabinet is about 15litres. If you would like some more info then just let me know.

OK

So how much lower should the FS be on the Tweeter, and when AudioFreak said that the Tweeter should be the same as the amps output, does that mean I need a 120W Tweeter.As you can see I am having a bit of trouble making sense of this whole thing.I would really appreciate a link or email with more info on your latest project griff, and what does that $250 get me.So do your responses mean that the Vifa Woofer will be fine.I would also appreciate it if someone could post up the specs for the Woofer & Tweeter that they would use for this amp.

Jeroth

Its all very confusing when you start, but it comes together eventually.

Heres a link to the SEAS H624 woofer and the SEAS H831 tweeter.

I must pre warn you about this combo, it does lack the low end, and i wouldn't recommend it for heavy/ alt metal, something that has a large slap bass, really needs to be coupled with a Shiva.

The H624 you can get for about $90 and the tweeter is around $45.

The highlight of this system is the tweeter, its incredible for the money.

What I meant is that many manufactures rate their tweeters for system power and not actual input power. Personally I dont like this as they usually use white / pink noise to do the rating and music often varies from this far too much but i suppose it's a decent generalized standard. When looking at tweeters, if the power rating says system power, you should use one of about 120W, if it says input power 25W should be fine

Thanks

Thanks for the links griff.
I just think that these are just a bit too expensive for me, because I still need to get all the other stuff like crossovers and all the other things recquired.
The other thing is that I listen to ALL types of music, most of it is Rock, Alternative, Rap, Dance and Soul,but I also listen to ALL the other types.I dont have any METAL type music like slipknot etc because its 2 heavy 4 my liking.

I dont want to have the strongest possible base, I am looking for a very CLEAR sounding system(i dont want the room shaking, just a clear bass sound).Do you know what i mean?!?

SO, in your opinion, would the Vifa Woofer that I mentioned previously do a good job for this type of setup, or not.
I know that I need to get a Tweeter without the metal cap thing and a lower FS, but how much of a lower FS.
Please Help Me Out Guys!!!

Jeroth

The H831 has a Fs of 1200 and the model above, the H881, has a chamber on the back to bring the Fs down to around 900. This suggests crossing over at around 1500-2000Hz. The link can be found Here

The Vifa is an option, although if you matched it with one of the SEAS tweeters above, then you would need to add an L-pad to bring down the sensitivity a little.

By 'clear bass sound', I get the impression that it should be flat to around say 50Hz, and a bass reflex is definately the best choice. With the Vifa, you will get a F3 of around 44Hz, in a 21.9 litre enclosure tuned to 42.8Hz, this means a port length of 108mm with a diameter of 50mm. That would be more then adequate i feel. Do you at any time in the near future intend on building a subwoofer?

Thanks for the huge amount of responses by everyone.I dont think I will be making a Sub Woofer in the future, and I will only be using a .25 cu ft enclosure if i order one off the net because the bigger ones r too expensive.

I WANT to build and cut my own cabinet because it will be cheeper, but how do you cut such perfect holes, and even more so, how do you cut them so the speakers can be flush mounted.

I dont have fancy tools, just the basics(drill etc).

I was thinking of buying the speakers and then going to Bunnings and telling them what sizes I need, and then getting THEM to cut the cabinets and also cut the holes for the speakers, could i do this.

Jeroth

OK!

Thanks to the links that GlennME posted up 4 me, I have found a design that I would like to try out.It uses the exact speakers that I have decided on(The Vifa's)and also explains in detail how to do EVERYTHING.It also offers different construction tips so you can customize the look to the way u want it.They said that this has got an extremely good frequency response, and is also good quality.Well here is the link 4 u to go and have a look.If you can, read the whole thing and tell me what you think.
I personally think it is perfect for me, seeing as though this is my first project.

Jeroth

Jeroth said:
So what do u think of getting the pieces and holes cut at bunnings in the cut shop.

I don't think Bunnings is set up for cutting holes. They'll probably cut the sheet of MDF for you, but you'll have to cut the holes yourself. There's bound to be someone you know, or a neighbour in your street, who has a Jigsaw. See if you can borrow one for a couple of hours.

Tweeter?

I have chosen
this project and people suggesed earlier that i shouldnt get tweeters with a alluminium dome because they can be a bit harsh, I have decided to do this and have found a replacement by Vifa that has the EXACT same specs excpet that the new one i have chosen has a slightly lower FS which would be better, and the old one can go up to 3500hz and the new one up to 30000hz.Here are the details:

Previous Decision:
VIFA D25ASG-05 1" SHIELDED ALUMINUM DOME TWEETER

New Decision:
VIFA D26SG-05 1" SHIELDED TEXTILE DOME TWEETER

Do u think this is a good replacement?

Jeroth

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.