|Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers|
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.
Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|26th August 2004, 01:27 PM||#1|
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Greater Cincinnati Area
Anyone willing to help newbie with crossover design?
I am working on my first speaker project. I have done a lot of research, but the details of crossover design still confuses me, and it seems that this is the most important part.
I am putting together a pair of MTM speakers.
I purchased the following equipment:
- Stryke Audio's SA071 7" drivers (not the best driver out there, but at <$10 each, they seemed like a good choice for my first project)
- Morel DMS-30 tweeters
- Cabinets (21"h x 8.5"w x 11"d - exterior) made of 0.75" MDF, sealed, rounded corners, offset from center tweeter, volume = .75 cu ft
- Dampening material (dacron?), purchased from Meniscus
I found a crossover on Stryke's website for the same drivers and cabinet, but he used the lower-end tweeter that he offers on his site, and not the Morel DMS-30. There are very few specifications on his site for this other tweeter, so I cannot determine the differences between it and the DMS-30.
Is the tweeter a consideration in crossover design? Most of the software I have tried do not even seem to consider the tweeter.
I tried several of the free applications out there, such as Passive XO Designer, WinISD, Speaker Workshop, and many others, but I ran into problems...
1. I do not have the FRD or ZMA files for the drivers or tweeters (apparent requirement for Passive XO Designer)
2. The tools are not robust enough to create a "real" crossover
3. I just do not have the technical knowledge to understand all the software's parameters and how they affect the crossover and speaker's performance
4. I do not have measurement equipment
Can someone please help me? I would appreciate any suggestions and guidance that you could provide!
Thanks very much!!!
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|newbie crossover help||mrallen||Multi-Way||10||12th May 2009 04:45 AM|
|Serious newbie has a crossover question||Binkstir||Multi-Way||9||26th March 2009 10:46 PM|
|newbie - confirming a few crossover design points||tinkerbell||Multi-Way||25||28th September 2006 01:09 AM|
|Crossover question from newbie||Gary Lightfoot||Multi-Way||10||20th October 2004 06:05 PM|
|Newbie crossover Questions...||winterparkstang||Multi-Way||3||4th August 2003 05:19 AM|
|New To Site?||Need Help?|