Hatt-MKIII finished, going to the next...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear All,

I have been finished my mini monitor -- HATT-MKIII designed by Tony Gee. Thanks for his great design and i'm really satisfy with it's performance.

I'm planning to have my next full range DIY speaker, and my budget for the units is about USD700. On hand i got the following "potential" candiate for election:

Eros -- floor stand with SS9500 + 2 x Vifa PL18
Proteus -- stand mount with Seas E001 + 2 x Seas H8xx (just forget it right now)

I'm really want to have a good performance unit compare to high value commercial speaker. (at least upto the level of USD5K).

Could anyone give me some advise/comments on what's the best in this range? Of course if you have another great design i would like to have your comments. Thanks.

Hello garfieldcat,

You've had the Hatt mk3 for a little while now. Can you give some criticisms about this speaker?

What are you looking for, when thinking of building your next speaker?

There are a lot of good designs out there. But no speaker is perfect and depends on what you value most?

I suspect Tony's design using Seas' aluminium cone drivers have a very clear sound. Proteus or Eros may be more efficient and greater power handling (louder, cleaner and more dynamic) but may not be resolve as much detail (paper cone drivers)

I haven't heard either so I could be wrong...

Garfield Cat,

Hi, I am building a pair of HATT MKIIIs too! Can you post some pics for me to see? I am about halfway through because I am going to rebuild the cabinets. I don't have bitumen sheets either. Because of that I was wondering if I had to decrease the internal dimensions of the cabinets to compensate for the lack of bitumen sheets. What is your opinion? I will have pics of mine soon.

Matt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.