Karlson Enclosure - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2005, 01:33 AM   #51
PB2 is offline PB2  United States
diyAudio Member

Just wondering Freddy, are there two folds in that box so the 9 ft length is roughly 3 times the 3 ft height?

Do you have input impedance plots for each condition?

Is the closed box response simply with the port covered or also with any internal baffles removed?

That looks very similar to what I built many years ago but they were 6 ft towers with no folds, the slot was only about one third that height, and I used damping on the walls. I used a pair of 8" woofers in each.

Thanks,
Pete B.

Quote:
Originally posted by Magnetar

Hey Freddy!

Just copy the image url into the IMG box after you click on the IMG box- the IMG button appears above the reply box when you are replying to a post.

Nice seeing you here.

Freddy is probably the worlds most intense Karlson experimenter.. !

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 18th August 2005, 11:40 AM   #52
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by freddi

k-tubes are interesting and can sound fine although ~no gain - easiest would be a rolled paper version of Transylvania Power Company's ""The Tube" - ~5.3" long, half-ellipse based slot (The Tube tapered downwards a few degrees) - 1"ID pvc pipe ~5.3" long is good too. longer slot might make them more directive in horizontal (?)
Hey Freddy - I had some interesting results with an Audax PR170MO loaded in a four foot 6" diameter tube with a 2/3 length slot. The driver was in a .5 cubic foot sealed box. I simply laid the box on the ground pointing up and placed the tube on the front of the driver. In the box alone the driver was usable 500-5K, in the tube it went to 150-5k - IOW there was gain but only below 500 Hz - Also loaded a JBL 2440 in the same tube with just the driver firing into it, IE the 2" exit to the 6" tube - Here again there was gain in the lower range. The 2440 went down to 350 cycles (ragged) -

Someday I'd like to load one of my 6.5" Tannoy coaxials in a tube and see how it does - seems it would make a great surround speaker with it's open radiation.
Old 18th August 2005, 01:29 PM   #53
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

@Pete - line was 48H x13W x18D ~10ft path design by Roger Sanders in Speaker Builder for 11" Dynaudio - two internal baffles - nothing removed - just a board clamped to front on smooth sealed trace

@Magnatar - I should have said "tiny" (like 1"x5" or 1.875" x 7") k-tubes have ~no gain . a mini klam with fairaly large gap like doggie tried on a Fostex BLH might make a nice match for Rosie types

that's Transylvania's "The Tube" on top.
Old 22nd August 2005, 07:45 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Default Ultra-Fidelity vs Klam

one more thing - the regular Ultra Fidelity Karlson configuration (with strong enough driver) allows a punchy package without much box depth. 14" deep is enough for some couplers

rear lowpass choke generally need empirical tuning with know music tracks to subjectively get tight transient response. z- plots might help
Old 1st September 2005, 09:06 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

I've been reading through these threads and find the comments really interesting. Especially the First few Threads and How Bad these cabinets sound.

Who ever built them Couldn't have done a Proper job on them or they used the Wrong Materials in Construction.
Plywood Doesn't do it.

I Originally built a pair of the Karlson Cabinets back in the 60's using Jenson Triaxial Speakers. Excellent Sound.

Now I have a pair made 3/4 Scale with some custom made 12 inch Coaxial speakers. These speakers have a Free Air Resonance of about 15 Hz.
Results, Even Better than the Jensons.

My Best comparison of them, was to "Bose 901" speakers and both these Karlsons beat them hands down in listening tests as well as some other acoustic measurements done at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver B.C.

Sorry this was MANY Years ago and I don't have those actual Test Results anymore.

But anyway, this is my 2 Cents worth.
Old 2nd September 2005, 12:40 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Quote:
originally posted by chemelec

I've been reading through these threads and find the comments really interesting. Especially the First few Threads and How Bad these cabinets sound.

Who ever built them Couldn't have done a Proper job on them or they used the Wrong Materials in Construction.
I`ve build about 10 pairs of Karlson enclosures in my life.
Most of them in a incredible heavy and ridid construction - in a quality I have nowhere seen before until now (unless those of a buddy who has built a sandwich enclosure version where the inner/outer enclosures were completely decoupled through a 5cm! thick layer of sand. No chance to move that thing only one mm without removing the sand).
Plywood or not or whatever else kind of material You use for the cabinet, this has nothing to do with the nasty inherent resonances that this kind of enclosures do produce.
Old 2nd September 2005, 04:07 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

Putting a Signal Generator and Audio analyzer on my cabinets, there are No bad Resonant points on my cabinets.

The Outside dimension of the Origional plans I have are a cabinet thats:
33 inches high, 22 1/2 inches wide and 18 inches deep

Maybe there plans are different?

But anyway, to each his own.
I'm Very pleased with what I have.
Old 2nd September 2005, 10:08 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Putting a Signal Generator and Audio analyzer on my cabinets, there are No bad Resonant points on my cabinets.
I`m not talking about material resonances of the cabinet itself but those produced acoustically due to the various internal cavities and vents of the Karlson concept.

Quote:
The Outside dimension of the Origional plans I have are a cabinet thats:
I have built Karlsons in all flavours - from the original dimensions to variations thereof to much smaller ones. I have experimented also with, I can`t remember how much, a lot of different drivers.

Quote:
But anyway, to each his own. I'm Very pleased with what I have.
That`s fine and there is nothing to argue.
Once I liked Karlson´s too (and I admit it partly had also to do something with the unique and somehow "cool" appearance) - otherwise I wouldn`t have built them (BTW: it was very late when I posted yesterday, I recalculated in total 11 enclosures I have built completely by my own, not 10 pairs).
I agree that Karlson`s can sound very good on some music material like Rock but for more "demanding" (and my taste of music is manifold) they simply don`t satisfy me anymore.
Old 16th February 2009, 04:32 AM   #59
darms is offline darms  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 12" Karlson

I apologize in advance, quite non-scientific comments to follow. Sometime in the mid 1950s, my dad made a Karlson enclosure for a 12" EV(?) woofer. Guys, driven by an 8w Stromberg-Carlson w/6BQ5 outputs, it always sounded really good and would consistently rattle the windows when requested. FF to 1998, I finally got the money & the time so I installed a (chinese) dual voice coil subwoofer w/ a rubber surround & a 300W (chinese) SW amp & put the box in a corner. The damned thing now blows away my mains, I have to keep the gain way down or we get Slammed every time an action movie comes on. The science of this box eludes me except I know that at least for subwoofer frequencies, it has the efficiency of a ported enclosure yet the accuracy of an infinite baffle. I also know the interior shelf items on the front of the driver have to have a gloss finish else the magic just ain't there.
Old 16th February 2009, 02:08 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

Yes they are Excellent Speaker cabinets, but not just for Bass.

The Original size cabinets are designed for 15 Inch Speakers.

I have Two, 3/4 Scale cabinets with some custom made "12 inch Coaxial speakers".

Excellent Bass and Treble.
Old 16th February 2009, 02:10 PM   #61
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Actually, having the efficiency of a band-pass alignment that it is, it makes for a pretty impressive tapped horn of sorts when corner loaded.

GM
Old 16th February 2009, 03:29 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

yes - Karlson can have very pretty vocals and highs - I've been pleasantly surprised by a couple of12" fullrange in K12 including University UC122. - - - regarding the 3/4 scale cabinets - were the shelf gaps kept fully in scale? Karlson can sound great on bowed bass - even the 12 with higher cutoff. There may have been 3 versions of factory Karlson Twelve - all the same size externally. None had the front shelf.

Old 16th February 2009, 04:37 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

Yes, I Scaled the Entire Cabinet down, Including the Shelf and Opening. I made them with REALLY HIGH DENSITY, Particle Board.
Old 16th February 2009, 05:47 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

got pictures? - so they're 0.75 and not 0.8" ? -- 0.75 may be better - it would be fun to have you post over at Gregg's Kalrson forum - there's a post telling how to register by email http://gainclone.com/Karlson/index.php?board=1.0
Old 16th February 2009, 08:48 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

Yes, theyt are 0.75 scale.

I'm not interested in posting on that forum, But possibly I could post one picture of it on my website.

I built these about 20 years ago and have been using them ever since, However strange as it sounds, I just screwed them together for a quick test.

But they worked so good, I never took them apart again to Actually "GLUE" and Screw them together.

I'll see what I can do and than I'll post my website Link.

However, Presently I am going throug a Medical Problem. I have a Spot on my Right lung. Now need to be checked for cancer in it.

Take care...Gary
Old 16th February 2009, 09:51 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Here it is.

Old 16th February 2009, 10:31 PM   #67
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chemelec

I have a Spot on my Right lung.
Good luck with that! Hope it's nothing major.

GM
Old 16th February 2009, 11:45 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

hey Gary - nice work - you'll be in my thoughts and prayers
back in the 90's a friend built ~0.8 scaled K15 to K12 for my bass guitar use - they had two 3"x3" ports - later I covered those and and cut a central port like K15 - I might try this again but like yours -- MDF was way too heavy to carry - aperture at top may have been too tight
Old 16th May 2009, 06:40 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

I stumbled across a pair of Karlsons by accident I am so excited to try them out. One of the mounted speakers is a JBL D130, which only seems to have 0,75mm xmax (looked it up at thielesmallparameters), the other one is a cheap noname...
So I am wondering which speakers I should put in. The shelf is loaded with all kinds of eminence and many other 15s. Is a low Qts and high EBP recommendable like with hornloading in generell?
Old 16th May 2009, 09:07 PM   #70
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

My first Speakers where Carlsons to I read a small Booklet about them and build them end 89.

Mine 10" didn't sound very low to me. I didn't like them.
Old 17th May 2009, 12:04 AM   #71
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GM

Good luck with that! Hope it's nothing major.

GM
Yes it was Lung Cancer.
Just got out of the hospital. They removed Half of the lung and all is OK Now.

Gary.
Old 13th February 2011, 06:52 PM   #72
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to FUCHSAUDIO Send a message via Yahoo to FUCHSAUDIO

This is a drawing made from the Oliver "power Projector". A PA speaker made in the 70's which mounted on a stand, and used a 6 X 9 (car speaker apparently) to produce a vocal projection speaker. It had a pretty nice dispersion across the listener field. They made larger versions as well. Perhaps the only commercial use in the music field besides Acoustic Control Corporation making bass guitar cabinets using the Karlson principles.

I stumbled onto this thread while looking for Stromberg-Karlson Acoustic Labyrinth and Bose Acoustic Wave info. Thought you guys might find it interesting.

Old 14th February 2011, 05:13 PM   #73
diyAudio Member

Groovy! Phase III projectors as I had them were loaded with a heavy duty alnico motor 10" guitar speaker

here's an eight inch projector based upon dimensions of Alan Weiss's "Rocket" coupler - it had more headroom than you're hearing as my power amp didn't have much gain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znfE7hjQ40o

Last edited by freddi; 14th February 2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 4th April 2011, 01:37 AM   #74
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUCHSAUDIO View Post

This is a drawing made from the Oliver "power Projector". A PA speaker made in the 70's which mounted on a stand, and used a 6 X 9 (car speaker apparently) to produce a vocal projection speaker. It had a pretty nice dispersion across the listener field. They made larger versions as well. Perhaps the only commercial use in the music field besides Acoustic Control Corporation making bass guitar cabinets using the Karlson principles.

I stumbled onto this thread while looking for Stromberg-Karlson Acoustic Labyrinth and Bose Acoustic Wave info. Thought you guys might find it interesting.

BRILLIANT !

Sky hook mounted, upside down scoop, way ahead of it's time.

Karlson was a genius.
Old 4th April 2011, 05:12 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

Default Karlson K-15 or Karlson X-15 ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbelbacke View Post
I stumbled across a pair of Karlsons by accident I am so excited to try them out. One of the mounted speakers is a JBL D130, which only seems to have 0,75mm xmax (looked it up at thielesmallparameters), the other one is a cheap noname...
So I am wondering which speakers I should put in. The shelf is loaded with all kinds of eminence and many other 15s. Is a low Qts and high EBP recommendable like with hornloading in generell?
Hi Sabbelbacke

Which Karlson's have you got, K-15 or X-15 ???

What drivers did you try in the Karlsons ?

Cheers

Simon

Hide this!Advertise here!