Pls help me ID these JPW Speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd August 2004, 01:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Pls help me ID these JPW Speakers

Good day.

I found these speakers beside a garbage can while walking on my lunch break at work (coincidentally on my birthday). I am constantly in awe of some of the posts I see for bargains picked up at thrift shops (not a chance here in Ottawa, ON), so at least I have one thing I can brag about.

They are badged as JPW. The woofer (Vifa) would be considered 8", the tweeter is about a 3/4" dome. One of the woofer surrounds was shot, so I replaced it. (got a great deal from Solen; look them up). The cost to replace was approximately $40 (US) which was less than the cost to refoam. They sound quite impressive and put the Polk R15s I also have to shame.

Dimensions are 17 5/8" (44 cm) high, 10 1/2" (26 cm) wide and 10" (25 cm) deep. One thing that impressed me when I replaced the woofer was the fact that they are mounted with machine screws as opposed to simple wood screws. The colour (which I can only describe as honey blonde) is stunning. They are veneered on all sides (including the baffle) except the back which is a marble spray effect. For connections they use banana jacks that are wider spaced than North American speakers. The enclosures are sealed.

I emailed JPW in England twice for information, with no replies, so I am asking for your help.

In order to add them to my home-owners insurance policy, my overly anal insurance company wants a model #, or I get basic generic speaker coverage, which is about $25.00 (go figure).

Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has a scan of the owner's manual, it would help as well for insurance purposes.

Thanks, Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jpw.jpg (67.0 KB, 429 views)
Old 22nd August 2004, 11:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

JPW got taken over by some international conglomerate who closed them down, I think.
Why do us Brits let that happen to us? Kick the Ivy league MBAs into touch.
Bout time we had an industrial strategy methinks
The company has risen again in the form of Revolver but there is no connection with the old company thus I do not think there is any goodwill in the form of servicing old designs.
Old 22nd August 2004, 11:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

I can't help much, but they look like speakers that were sold in the only UK dealers I know of, Richer Sounds, for about 60-80. JPW had a good reputation for basic boxes, and for the price of a new surround you have a good deal, so enjoy them for what they are, not for any particular monetary value.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 22nd August 2004, 11:27 AM   #4
Stabist is offline Stabist  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

This might be a JPW P1 or P2 ... - it is a compression box, ain't it? 10 yrs ago I almost bought new JPW P2 ... I think they costed around 350$ at that time here in Slovenia ...
I still remember that they sounded indeed very very good for that money ....
Old 22nd August 2004, 04:59 PM   #5
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

JPW's were excellent, highly-rated speakers in their price range. Amazing garbage find.
Old 8th June 2014, 09:46 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hey guys
my apologies on re opening this old thread but today i bought a pair of these speakers today for $4 AUD. But, both woofers have been replaced by fosters so the original Vifa woofers are gone. To replace both with new vifas would cost around $260. My question is, is it worth throwing that kind of money at it?
Thankyou in advance
Old 8th June 2014, 10:01 AM   #7
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It's a JPW P1 isn't it? Used that famous old Vifa M21 foamed woofer.

If the replacements are reasonable for the cabinet volume, you merely have to fine tune the response for appropriate tweeter level. I discussed that here:
Question about reusing crossover for 2 way

Have a look at the filter. It's probably very simple. Without seeing the schematic, I can't say much more.
Old 8th June 2014, 11:09 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit100 View Post
Hey guys
my apologies on re opening this old thread but today i bought a pair of these speakers today for $4 AUD. But, both woofers have been replaced by fosters so the original Vifa woofers are gone. To replace both with new vifas would cost around $260. My question is, is it worth throwing that kind of money at it?
Thankyou in advance
Give me a few hours and I'll let you know. Mine are refoamed and I'm picking up some stands in a bit.
I'd imagine the bass is going to pretty boomy and one note because the box Q measures 1.45. They could really do with a bigger box or an aperiodic vent. Mine are most likely going to get new tweeters to cross over lower and an Aperiodic vent.
Old 8th June 2014, 11:31 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys!
That would be great Fatmarley!
I cant wait!!
Old 8th June 2014, 11:43 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

sorry system7, Yes i believe it is the JPW P1.
Also why do you say famous? i hope for good reasons

Hide this!Advertise here!