Dayton driver breakin? Xover help? Something isnt right. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2004, 04:51 AM   #1
r0lf- is offline r0lf-  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Dayton driver breakin? Xover help? Something isnt right.

So I just finished up my triune and the drivers havent been broken in at all. So I throw on some music and such to test them out. They sound just Okay

So I throw on a DVD to test the voice response, it sounds very hollow. Granted the top of the box isnt sealed yet. Just screwed on, so this isnt helping. Im confused to what could be the problem? Its the ported box design, but it should really sound better IMO. The tweeter just doesnt sound very clean at all, will this improve with breakin?

Any takers?
Old 21st August 2004, 09:05 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

"Break-in" is very minor for most drivers. If they don't sound good at first, they will most likely never sound good as far as break-in goes.
But if you listen to them for a week or two, you will find that they sound good. The mind is powerful.

If you have the measuring equipment to do it, check the crossovers and drivers for adequate frequency response. Without a reasonable good frequency response listening tests are pretty useless.

/M
Old 21st August 2004, 11:21 PM   #3
r0lf- is offline r0lf-  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I rechecked my Xover and it was a bit backwards. It sounds a bit better now, ive been messing with the box to get the hollowness out. Its been sounding better every step of the way. DIY is so fun sometimes

Hide this!Advertise here!