EQ open baffle or not ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th August 2004, 02:07 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default EQ and Response

johninCR's comment about flat response is true, as far as it goes.

My current opinion is that a flat response at the listening position in the actual room the speakers are used in is the only way you get to what's on the recording (for good or ill).

I personally use all Rane processors and Crown amps. I use a Rane stereo 31 band EQ and a Rane RTA to flatten the system.

If i was starting out all over again (and the way things go I'm just an eBay sell-off of what I have now away) I'd go with the Behringer "does-everything" (can't remember the model number).

You definitely need the RTA function in addition to the EQ to be successful.

Digital vs analog? In practical terms a non-issue when considering quality componets, aside from the fact that you can obviously get a lot more for less $ going digital.
Old 20th August 2004, 02:20 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Re: EQ open baffle or not ?

Quote:
Originally posted by then_dude

i have also seen in the simulation: if you take a lot of sourcepoints on the surface of the speaker, and you're off axis than the highs cancel each other: that's quite understanding i think. But if you use an open baffle than you certainly need a supertweeter, or may you not look at a speaker conus as radiating at a lot of places at the conus ? Or are a lot of guys not hearing well above 12-15khz ?
then_dude,
If your speaker doesn't have a phase plug, you might consider building one for it. This helps prevent the cancelation/reenforcement modes that can happen with a wide driver being used to create highs. I've done this to several drivers. It really works! The highs are both cleaner and flatter.

Dave
Old 20th August 2004, 09:51 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

interesting, the phase plug thing, it's true that the corals beta have this, mine doesn't, i'll google a bit on that one( an also on the site offcourse)

thanx for the digital response, i think i'm gonna buy one, i have just talked with a belgium guy who has it. And for the money you can't go wrong i think.

thanx, greetings
Old 21st August 2004, 03:46 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Here's some interesting reading on phase plugs.

http://audioprogress.free.fr/

Dave
Old 22nd August 2004, 02:19 PM   #15
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default hope rudolf didn't lost fate in me

Not at all, then_dude!

I now think I understand where you are going. Seems to be the DIY spirit at its best.

And obviously some digital EQ with a RTA function (Behringer Ultra Curve 2496) as wunhuanglo recommended would be a great help.

There is one aspect I would like to comment: There seem to be a lot of people in diy audio who excessively discuss best quality speakers or best reproduction concepts but seldom achieve anything in the real world. What a pity! I understand - if you are laying out big money you are concerned about doing it right.
I personally get much more fun from trying reasonably priced components and getting the most from them. If I fail, at least it doesn´t hurt much. If I win, my competence reaches a new level, from where to start again - and possibly with higher quality components.
Only if I have some running system I know what I miss and where to head to.
The single most effective step forward for me has been accurate positioning of the speakers (and myself) in the room. Cost me nothing except some reading and thinking, but is a very efficient kind of equalisation other people have to buy EQ for .

Keep on, then_dude, you are on a good way
Greetings
Rudolf
Old 22nd August 2004, 02:40 PM   #16
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Only if I have some running system I know what I miss and where to head to.
The single most effective step forward for me has been accurate positioning of the speakers (and myself) in the room. Cost me nothing except some reading and thinking, but is a very efficient kind of equalisation other people have to buy EQ for
Good sanity check Rudolf, and you are right, the theory is a good starting point but there is no substitute for building something and listening to it!

Hide this!Advertise here!