Build or buy? Logitech Z-680 & College student

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Build or buy? Logitech Z-680 & College student

My younger brother just went off to college and decided to buy the Logitech Z-680 speakers for his computer. Logitech.com product link.
If you are familiar with this particular set of speakers you know about the rave reviews, THX certification, and 500Watts RMS.

When I was in the very same position two years back I had my eye on the same set of speakers but decided not to buy due to the price. ($275 then, $235 now) I now have my own house and am looking for quality sound and extreme loudness (loudness with moderation ;)

After installing them in his dorm room I was amazed by the quality and loudness of the sound (104dB according to reviews) that these Z-680's are capable of. Aside from some minor issues with hissing which Logitech has since fixed, the speakers are, in my mind, flawless.

I would like to start building a set (read 2 right now) of desk speakers and eventually expand the system into a 5.1 home(bedroom) theater system. The problem is that when I went to buy the materials they almost always would total around $150.00 for two speakers. Mind you I also need to start thinking about building or buying a preamp, amplifier, DTS decoder, and subwoofer. All of these things are compacted into the Z-680's that my brother has.

I got somewhat discouraged tonight and am extremely tempted to just buy the Logitech Z-680's right now and be done with it.

Any advise here on whether I should build or buy?

If you want the speakers now.. with minimal effort -- buy them.

If you want the pleasure of learning, of creating something that didnt exist before, and are willing to spend the time -- then DIY.

You may also want to visit a home theater store in your area and compare sounds with what they sell vs what the logictek stuff sounds like. Chances are you can build something yourself that sounds better.

I agree.. The logitech are a helluva lot of speaker for their price and function. But if you're really into getting some good speakers quickly, pick those up or take a peek on a site like Audiogon .. You'd be amazed what kind of speakers you can find for sale in the $200-300 range.

For computer speakers, I think the Logitechs are hard to beat. I wonder if anyone has upgraded them with the Tangband 871's?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.