Utopia and Visaton Concorde

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!
Always having thought that a picture says more than a thousand words, I now send U a link to a swedish loudspeaker-forum where
I have presented a "semi-Utopia-clone"....the words will be hard to follow, but hopefully not the pictures.

I started working in mars with this project, and finished it in mid july.....the project is based on a kit from VISATON called "Concorde".

Best Regards

http://www.hififorum.nu/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31423

Wooow - what an incredible woodworking job You did there!:eek:
Hats off!!

I think I know what the veneer is - or at least I know how it is called in German (Vogelaugenahorn).
Don`t know if it makes sense translated word by word into English - "bird eyes maple" - ??
When the daylight strikes it, it appears somehow fluorescending like the inside of a sea shell.
Once I have worked with this too - Verrrry nice!!

Replies

Thanks for the comments...I'm very satisfied with these speakers,
I really feels great both to listen to the speakers as well as to look at them........aren't we DIY-builders a strange breed?
(I sometimes amuse myself with telling people that I like to LOOK at loudspeakers.....just to watch their reaction....:confused: )

Now some replies:
Thats right, the stuffing was added at the last stage, just before I put the drivers in place, so U can't see it. I've used wool for the midranges, and the original stuffing for the woofers cabinett, as supplied in the Concorde-kit. I MIGHT try another amount of stuffing later, when I come to the "tweaking-phase"....

The Veneer is actually just birch, two different kinds of birch, not maple. The one on top of the speakers, and on the woofer-part, is called "Curly birch", in swedish "Masur-björk". The other veneer
is (a free interpretation) called "flame-birch", which is birch with more "patterns","curls" than the ordinary birch.

The sound:Well It was awesome, really, so much more space in the sound then with my other speakers(Focal C600). I get a feeling that no matter how high I turn up the volume i still can talk without screaming...the sound is so clear and "surrounding".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.