Boost the impedence? Who wants to help the newbie?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
im looking to replace a pair of woofers in a pair of old speakers. Current woofer drivers are 15", 5 ohms and are 50w nominal (im going to replace them with 350w-500w so im going to drive the crossovers at more than 50w) the drivers that i will use will be 4 ohms. anyway to boost them to 5? a resistor or two? ive posted something similar before, but i need help to do this within toronto (no online orders). any help, plz?:( im not an audiophile, but i understand some stuff about speakers, and surround sound, etc.

Well, here's the dirty secret: impedances are NOT a single number. They actually vary all over the place. For a typical woofer-in-a-box, you might see the impedance swing from 3 to 30 ohms, depending on frequency. The "nominal impedance" spec is a piece of fiction. Same with power handling figures.

And changing the woofers to something else opens up a whole can of worms. The Thiele-Small parameters, which determine how the woofer will perform in the bass with a given box, are HIGHLY unlikely to be the same from one type of woofer to another. The impedance at crossover is the least of your problems here.

Is there no chance of getting a replacement set of woofers from the manufacturer? Or repairing the woofers? You'd really be much better off.

ive already been told all those things. i doubt i can repair the speakers properly. the surround on them is ripped, and its not a foam type speaker. the original replacement woofers will probably cost like 300$ each, these are quite old speakers. Sansui sp-5500x...

Im gonna replace them with cheap woofers, only 19.99 canadian each (clearance sale)!. Its either that, or probably the trash bin....

Just add a 1 ohm resistor. It will waste a little power and may impact the woofers' sound slightly, but we're talking about $20 canadian woofers anyway. Add some bracing inside the box while you have it open and that benefit may help offset the negatives. Give those $20 drivers a listen before purchasing to make sure they aren't just total crap to begin with. If you end up with some sonic characteristics that you don't like, post the results and maybe someone here can help. In the worst case, you could turn the box into an aperiodic box which can be adjusted to any driver using the same box with only a little work. Maybe you'll get lucky and the new driver with the resistor has very similar characteristics of the original.

Another alternative is to repair the originals. What exactly is the nature and extent of the damage?

lol, im done with fixing them. the paper surrounds have ripped all the way around on one, and half way on the other. one has the cone leaning downwards, making horrble distorted bass. and the otherone has terrible rattling. i tried cutting out the surround that make the ratting and distortion on the more damaged speaker, and using 3 pieces of duct tape to hold the woofer straight. it made the sound ALOT cleaner, still sounded like it was hitting something, and the woofer moved like 3 times more outward. the bass became less sharp, the mid bass was ok, but the deep bass became very quiet, so i said f.k it. im just going to pickup the woofers this wednesday or thursday, and see how it works.

They both look like what I'd expect for the price. If the pics are both of the correct 15's then the cheaper one appears to have a bigger magnet structure. It looks like the $20 ones are really 12". They appear to be typical cheap high Qts drivers that are likely to be boomy in your cab. If so then aperiodic venting could work although power handling and output would be lower. Dipole is an option too. Funds permitting, get 4 then the options for use increase. You could go isobaric which is more likely to fit your cab volume if you don't mind the back end of a woofer hanging out of the front of your cab or you could turn the bass section of your cab into a W baffle dipole which even with cheap 15's can be quite respectable.

lol, well this is ending up like the other thread - people say i should do something something because of something something... lol, alot of stuff here i dont know how to do. im not a professional, i never built a speaker in my life. I just dont want these speakers to end up in the trash. The bass on them is worse than on my JBL 82s with only 8" woofers (btw are those any good? some moron was going to trash em so i took em)

I was referring to what is called an isobaric alignment with the easiest being clamshell mounting (2 drivers face to face wired with opposite polarity). This does a couple of things 1. It cuts the required box size in half. This will be important for you because from the looks of those they need a big box to sound their best. 2. It is a push/pull alignment that reduces distortion that is especially beneficial for cheap drivers to improve their sound. Note that this is alignment is good only for bass frequencies. It would also increase your impedance problem.

Probably the easiest, cheapest, and best chance for success is to just get 2 of those 15's and put a 1 ohm resistor on the + terminal of each woofer. If it sounds too boomy, but otherwise not too bad, post back and someone can explain how to convert it to aperiodic or dipole which are quite an easy conversion. Just don't expect to get super high output or audiophile quality sound using those cheapies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.