Boost the impedence? Who wants to help the newbie?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
higher than 5 ohms is fine, that means the total speaker impedence will be higher than the original (8). but what if it is lower, like 4 or 3, than the total will be lower too, and my amp cant pull off less than 8. cmon cant anyone tell me where to get a resistor around Toronto, instead of telling me not to? My reciever (sony str-de425) has been with me for about 3 years now, and i still love the way it sounds, so i dont want to damage it.

Instead of a small series resistor, whcih will adversely raise Qts & add more boom, why not use a large parallel resistor instead?
From my calc. 20ohm plus 4 should bring it up to a 6ohm total, the drawback is loss in efficiency, but with 2 woofers & high Qtc this wont be a problem.
Oh yeah forgot - if these are 4ohm woofers then series connect them for 8ohm & forget resistors altogether!
Good luck!

Ap said:
Instead of a small series resistor, whcih will adversely raise Qts & add more boom, why not use a large parallel resistor instead?
From my calc. 20ohm plus 4 should bring it up to a 6ohm total, the drawback is loss in efficiency, but with 2 woofers & high Qtc this wont be a problem.

How can adding ANYTHING in parallel increase impedance?

Ap said:

Oh yeah forgot - if these are 4ohm woofers then series connect them for 8ohm & forget resistors altogether!
Good luck!

Series connect them to what? Going to 8ohms would also affect the function of the existing crossover.

parallel - actually its true, ive read about this, and when i had 3 surround speakers per channel (4ohm,6ohm, and an8 ohm) i used some formula to get 2 speakers in series and the other in parallel and got something like 8.4 ohms or something, ill see if i can dig up that electronics book and find it.

So im going to pick up the woofers tonight. Is the more expensive really worth it? (the 29.99 ones) or shud i stick with 19.99. I dont want to blow alot of money on a experiment like this, lol.

Listen to them and see if the $10 sounds like it's worth it. Quite often you can find a cheaper driver that sounds better. My guess is one is a 12" and the other a 15" and online it was just a typo. If that's true, try make them give you the 15" for 19.99 , since that was advertised.

Take an old driver out and bring it with you, or at least measure the cutout hole to make sure the hole isn't too big for the new driver.

i doubt they will let me listen to it properly. last time i was there, i got a good deal because it was the ending of a big sale, it was dual 10" subs and horns, with cabinets and handles, 400 watts, 25$ canadian. They hooked it up to like a 10 watt stereo, and said they only do that to make sure it works, not to show how it sounds.

They may be better than I thought. $25 canadian for dual 10's cab and all is a good price no matter how bad the drivers are. BTW, just listening in free air with only 10 watts can tell you alot. Just have them turn the treble and mids all the way down if possible when you are "checking to make sure they work".

great, thanks alot. cant wait for my dad to get home, so we can drive down there and pick a couple of em up. The is also a clearance (in a location far away from me i belive) of dual 8 or 10" cabs with drivers and i think horns too and with sound sensitive neons around the woofers, all for 29.99 canadian. Its a nice warehouse. The got wireless mics for 15$ canadian (100 feet range, and it can be wired too, it comes with a detachable cord and antenna)

well i just called them before leaving, and it turns out all that left are the ones that have been punched in. This may still be a good deal, but its stupid that they cost the same as when they had them full in stock. GUess im gonna have to wait and hope they come back someday:(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.