PHL 1240 and Raven R2 help crossover, box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of raven R2's and two pairs of PHL 1240 16ohm drivers. I think they were intended for the zalytron phenominal 2 speakers. I do not have a crossover schematic. Does anyone have an advanced crossover design that will use nicer components like foil inductors? Also, i wsa planning on using a ported mtm configuraton, is there a better layout for this setup? I have the boxes designed in cad, and planned on making them out of stacked mdf rings, so the walls would be 2" thick, and it wouldt have any parrallel surfaces to reduce standing waves. Is an mdf box lined with blackhole still a good cabinet structure, or is there a better casting resin type material to use?
Thanks
Hans

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I will be kind of surprised if you can fill the gap between
the 1240's and the Ravens. I suggest that you be ready
to play around with these in some temporary boxes, stringing
crossover parts together ad hoc until you are ready to commit.

On second thought maybe it will work - but be prepared to
fool around with it. :cool:

Here's the crossover posted on Zalytron site. I also got those driver (PHL 1230 though) and I never had the courage to built that crossover.

I ended up using Raven with first order filter above 12K, Triangle midwoofer going full range and PHL1230 filling the bottom (in infinite baffle setup) with first order lowpass filter.

Attachments

• ph.jpg
    ph.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 309
Any ideas on what to do with the drivers? I am not opposed to buying more, or changing what i have. I bought them from the estate of a friend, and recieved a very good deal on the drivers. Any thoughts of how to make these useful, or should i just sell them, and build a very nice g ribbon setup.
Thanks
Hans

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Box Design from Zalytron site:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

of the tower version of this kit:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

the crossover for the tower:

and a direct link to the crossover for the first box for comparison:

You can also try calling up Orca and asking them questions about the kits. I talked to Alan there when I was considering building one of their designs. I am not sure of his last name, or telephone number. If you talk to Zalytron, then can help you out also.

--
Brian

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I did not have a good experience with so many poles on
the tweeter, which are an effort to get it down to 2KHz,
for which IMHO it is not suitable. I tend to cross it with
2 poles at about 9KHz. There are almost no PHL midranges
that cross really well to this tweeter, but I haven't tried
the MTM configuration.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.