Distortion measurements - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2004, 10:28 PM   #1
Vg is offline Vg  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Vg
Default Distortion measurements

Hi all,

I think it ought to be elementary for all manufacturers of loudspeaker drivers to publish measurements of distortion on all their drivers, since distortion is indeed a very imortant factor to consider when constructing a loudspeaker.

I would be glad if you post any links to distortion measurements here, I think it's very interesting reading.

Here are three links:
Tweeters
Mid-woofers
Various drivers
Old 10th August 2004, 01:42 AM   #2
ucla88 is offline ucla88  Tahiti
diyAudio Member

Hi Vg,

I am plannning to get some more up soon. I have an eton 19 and a seas excel non ferro (-003) tweeter coming. After than, I really have to get some true midrange data up. I will probably have something additional by the end of this month.

P.S. You forgot to link to SL's distortion page.
Old 10th August 2004, 04:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

no, the thing is that distortion for speakers is a lot more complex then for a solid state amp.

firstly in a solid state amp, IMD isn't usually included becaue it usually pretty low. especailyl compared to a speaker.

then you have to estimate what power use and bandwidth you want. a speaker may work beautifully with 5W from 300hz to 3khz. but upping it to 15W may limit it to 600-1khz...

the consumer doesn't want to hear about 50% distortion @ 50W... because they won't buy it. likewise if you rate at 5W, people will say WEAK!!!

it'll just lead to manufacturers twisting numbers worse then they do now.
Old 10th August 2004, 04:35 AM   #4
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/x-mid_dist.htm
Old 10th August 2004, 10:19 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think it ought to be elementary for all manufacturers of loudspeaker drivers to publish measurements of distortion on all their drivers, since distortion is indeed a very imortant factor to consider when constructing a loudspeaker.
I could not agree more. AFAIK, JBL Pro and Beyma are the only ones that publish distortion measurements for their drivers.

/M
Old 13th August 2004, 11:32 AM   #6
Vg is offline Vg  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Vg
Quote:
Originally posted by ucla88
Hi Vg,

I am plannning to get some more up soon. I have an eton 19 and a seas excel non ferro (-003) tweeter coming. After than, I really have to get some true midrange data up. I will probably have something additional by the end of this month.

P.S. You forgot to link to SL's distortion page.

Whow! I'm really interested in those drivers. You behind the tweeters page I linked to?

Quote:
Originally posted by Swedish Chef

I could not agree more. AFAIK, JBL Pro and Beyma are the only ones that publish distortion measurements for their drivers.

/M
Well, there are some manufacturers (like eton, seas, Accuton) that publish distortion measurements, which is good ofcource, but the measurements are hard to compare since they all measure at different soundpressures and so on. I'd be very nice if they could agree on some kind of standard for distortion measurements!

Hide this!Advertise here!