Gluing rubber surround to paper cone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I feel that I had a lucky break. A fellow gave me a Titanic Mk 2 subwoofer driver for free b/c the surround had come off the cone. He had grown tired of messing with it.

Now: the rubber surround is almost completely off the pressed paper cone. He tried a tab on contact cement on one portion, but the bond feels really weak to me. It pulls off with no difficulty at all.

What kind of glue would you recommend?

Contact cement usually works- did you apply it properly (i.e., let it dry before making contact)? If it doesn't stick to the paper side because of the porousness, try saturating that area of the cone with PVA glue and let it dry. Then reapply the contact adhesive, let it dry, then press together. The PVA will act as a tie layer to allow the contact adhesive to work with the paper.

I have found that Gorilla Glue will permanently bond almost anything in a speak...or anything anywhere for that matter. It must be used sparingly, and the surfaces need to be clamped or held together somehow. If the surround is completely detached you may want to pull the dust cap off and shim the voice coil while performing the repair. shove some thin mylar or similar material between the VC and the pole piece to keep things centered. You can glue the dust cover back w/gorilla glue..make sure you weight it down. I have found that you can find a ceramic dish out of the kitchen cabinet to fit almost any surround size..set the driver upright (mag down) and set the dish so it presses the surround tightly to the cone. The glue 'foams up' if you use too much..go real easy, evenly and sparingly. It gives you plenty of work time too. Works for me...every time.:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.