Fostex Fe103 combined with woofer. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2004, 01:05 PM   #11
smbrown is offline smbrown  United States
diyAudio Member

I am using one FF85K per side. My room is 18' x 30' with 14' vaulted celings. It is for hi-fi listening only, not HT. I use a very unique amp at this time. Is was based on a design by Gary Pimm and is a direct coupled (no caps in it anywhere) EL34 PP amp putting out about 6 class A watts. I don't know what the damping factor is, but I'd guess it's about the same as a SE amp because I'm running the EL34s in pentode. I'd measure SPL for you, but it's 6:00 AM here and wife would not appreciate that. I will say I generally listen (seat is about 9' from speakers and speakes are about 4' from back wall), around 70 to 90 db, but certianly crank it from there, once in a while. I do not hear audible distortion, but I certianly have from other speakers. I will add that without the high pass on the FF85k, I did get plenty of distortion from them at higher volumes, but the filter cleaned that up very nicely. The amp for the bass speakers is a Crown pro amp that is rated for 200 wpc.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Steve
Old 11th August 2004, 03:33 PM   #12
jim is offline jim  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default Fe127 with Eminence Alpha10

Hi,

Just realised that I still have a pair of Eminence Alpha10's.
According to some simulation I can get 40Hz and an overall sensitivity of 94dB. Could this be correct ?
That leaves 91dB when I include baffle step, right ?
So the Fe127 could be a good choice then ?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 12th August 2004, 05:26 AM   #13
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally posted by smbrown
I am using one FF85K per side. My room is 18' x 30' with 14' vaulted celings....Is was based on a design by Gary Pimm and is a direct coupled (no caps in it anywhere) EL34 PP amp putting out about 6 class A watts. ...around 70 to 90 db...I will add that without the high pass on the FF85k, I did get plenty of distortion from them at higher volumes, but the filter cleaned that up very nicely. The amp for the bass speakers is a Crown pro amp that is rated for 200 wpc.
Oh i have lot of questions.
your room is huge...3.5 times mine in volume. but your listening levels are about 5-6db less than what i require (95db/2m). so i guess that evens things.

Q1. your XO is electronic so what is the slope? is it a very steep slope. I was looking at a 6db slope (passive or Passive line level) to keep things simple and retain transient response.

Q2. have you tried using multiple FF85Ks. I was looking at maybe using 4. however i dread the lobing effects. another alternate i was looking at is a forward facing 85k and a FF125k firing upwards running fullrange to lend support to the low end.

Q3. My amp will be a EL84 PPP that i expect puts out 20-24W. Hence i figured 4 x FF85K would make sense. there are 3 options.
a) 4 in line (here OB can be an option).
b) push push - 2 in the front, 2 in the rear
c) diffuse field - 1 in the front, 3 facing the rear at 45 deg 9a la Bose 901).

Opinions and Ideas are welcome.
Old 12th August 2004, 05:37 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

4 x FF85 line array v/s 1 JX 92. they cost about the same. i think this might be another thread though.
Old 12th August 2004, 12:48 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I have not tied multiple FF85K's, I figured that would take away from the point of a single driver. I have seriously thought about a larger, higher quality driver like the FX200, but cash shy at the moment. My crossover is (currently) a simple passive, as I said eariler, I used the components specified by Olsher for the Basszilla using the Fostex driver. These are both 2nd order filters, so the slope is steeper. Given some more time I will put it into a line level passive instead so I can go directly from the amp to speaker.

My plan on the LL passive is to make both the low pass and high pass variable so I can continue to experiment with a variety of drivers. In fact, it should allow me to experiment even easier.

I remeasured SPL last night that I typically listen to - yep around 80 - 85db. But when I crank it a bit I'm into your 92 - 95 db range no problem. But given the music I listen to, most of the peaks that hit that mid 90's mark are bass notes, and those are handled by the high excursion Shiva with much more drive behind it. I think that's why the FF85k's continue to sound so good, they're still not being over driven. As for amp power, sounds like you're on track with that.

I have thought about trying the Jordan, it seems like a great unit. I do like the idea of a smaller driver, so maybe I'd give that a shot instead of the bigger Fostex.
Old 13th August 2004, 04:48 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

i hear the FF85K within it's limitations which is 5W (300Hz+) might be a better driver than the JX92 or JX53.

I am notone to judge a driver based on its price although being a frugal phile I do question a higher priced driver. I feel that a higher priced driver must offer a significant advantage over a lower priced driver.

eg: TB W3 871 v/s FF85K v/s JX53 (I did not compare the JX92 here because it does offer better bass performance over these 3).

The 871 is about $10, the FF85K about $30 and the JX53 about $120.
Old 13th August 2004, 10:32 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smbrown
I have not tied multiple FF85K's, I figured that would take away from the point of a single driver. I have seriously thought about a larger, higher quality driver like the FX200, but cash shy at the moment. ... But when I crank it a bit I'm into your 92 - 95 db range no problem. But given the music I listen to, most of the peaks that hit that mid 90's mark are bass notes...FF85k's continue to sound so good, they're still not being over driven. As for amp power, sounds like you're on track with that.
my fear of the FX200 is it's large size that might lead to beaming. i'd take the JX92 over the FX200 unless someone else has a rational argument to counter my above aphrehension.

one option i did not mention before is to go push push and wire 4 FF85ks so that i can use either 2 or 4. 2 would feed of the 4 or 16 ohm taps and 4 would feed of the 8 ohm taps (EL84PPP amp). so when i am listening to music i use 2 and when i need more power for HT I use 4. Having 2 drivers will also allow me to have a 1st order filter at 200Hz instead of 2nd order. will it?

BTW what music u listen to? I usualy listen to what is called "classic rock" and also some jazz, blues and classical.
Old 13th August 2004, 03:18 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Navin, have you checked out this site?

http://de.geocities.com/peter_rehkop/system.html

Kind on topic for this discussion and mentions a variety of full range drivers in this application. As for my music, I listen to mostly jazz, but also classical and classic rock.
Old 14th August 2004, 04:59 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

that system is bigger than my living room. i guess u want my wife to throw me out :-) just kidding.

this link was interesting tooo
http://de.geocities.com/peter_rehkop/ff85k2.jpg
Old 17th August 2004, 08:45 PM   #20
jim is offline jim  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default FF85 ?!

Suppose I combine the 88dB/w/m Fostex FF85 with a 13cm or 17cm woofer with the same sensitivity, will placement near the rear wall of the room compensate for baffle step ?

Thanks,
Jim

Hide this!Advertise here!